xisto Community
mirdux

Cooling Ideas

Well yeah ive been messing around with the concept and have been imagining my hund quarters off and yeah heres a few things- With the ever growing intensity of computer performance, theres been a necessity to cool all of those hot parts. For ages wev'e resorted to metal thats almost completely separate from the chip itself. For one, using metal to cool computer parts is far from the most efficient method. Cooling utilizing liquid instead of air to cool the element is far more efficient, and is quiter, and lets face it everyone wants a quieter rig, butstill wants to protect thier hardware, so this works for them. But theres an inefficiency to this also, for it still uses the concept of the chip and the cooling apparatus being different modules, often being "connected" with a gossamer layer of non-conductive heat-transfer paste. What would be most useful is if the chip manufacturers, instead of putting a layer of metal over the chip's constents and calling it good, could possibly integrate water cooling into the chip. The costs that would be added on to the chip with this would be covered by not having to buy a plate to put on a standard chip. This would also encourage water cooling amongst more mainstream producers of computers. But the main issue is that to normal people, they understand water in a computer as a bad thing, and would compare it to running a nuclear reactor in thier car. Water cooling itself would be a savior to not only home computing, but to console gaming also. If anyone has been watching press on the new high-end gaming consoles you'd see numerous news reports of a large percent of buyers returning mechandise due to overheating. If a water cooling system was implemented into one of theese systems commercially that was integrated into the chips as id said before, not only would it do alot to simplifiy, and quiet the rig down, but it would do ALOT for heating rather than the typical air setup. Consoles seem to have a smaller tolerance for cooling; this is due mostly to the package being so small, and the hardware inside of it being crammed with very little room for air to hit the heatsinks, and very little space for warm air to exit. But with water cooling, the way the coolant travels is already implemented in wih its own space, so theres no need to worry about obstructed flow. Im surprised that the concept of a quieter, more effective method of cooling, while existant and very available, has not found a way to implement itself itno the computers of the majority.

Correct me if I'm wrong.While water does have a huge heat capacity, wouldn't the amount of time it takes to cool down make it inefficient? The reason air cooling works is because it blows the hot air out of the machine, and it is replaced by cool air from the rest of the atmosphere. With water, since it is not readily available for this usage, you would need to have a cooling tub where the heat that the water absorbs is released back into the atmosphere slowly.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
While water does have a huge heat capacity, wouldn't the amount of time it takes to cool down make it inefficient? The reason air cooling works is because it blows the hot air out of the machine, and it is replaced by cool air from the rest of the atmosphere. With water, since it is not readily available for this usage, you would need to have a cooling tub where the heat that the water absorbs is released back into the atmosphere slowly.

I should have emphasized integrating the cooling system INTO the chip more, for that was really what i wanted to put out there :)

I never liked the idea of water cooling, water + eletrical powered hardware doesn't go down well with me lol. One little bugger up and oops it's all gone.Surely there are plenty of other ways that are just as efficient.The room you have it in, can play a big role too, so perhaps guides on that might help lol.

Hmm , maybe there's another method of cooling... to use refrigerator (or air-conditioner) method. :) The metall located on top of the chip (radiator as we call it) is cooled with gase - "freon" (that's used in refrigerator to cool). As it's known from refrigerator technology if we increase the velocity of gase flow (the velocity of "freon") the surfaces having contact with freon will cool, so the metall-radiator. In order not to overcool we should replace (or connect) onto the metall-radiator thermocouple (or thermopair in other terms) in that way to control the temperature of the metall-radiator by increasing/decreasing the velocity of freon. So that the constant temperature will be held.This method would be expensive, some dangerous (because of freon, there may be some safety solutions) but exactly, precisely efficient! And would not depend the room you have it in.

Yeah, the gas used in fridges is supposed to be pretty dangerous eh.Then again, when's the last time you ever heard of an accident concerning a fridge and it's cooling system lol.