xisto Community
bakr_2k5

IE7 Freeze-up Accessing localhost freezes ie7

Hi there,Internet Explorer 7 seems to freeze up when I put 'localhost' in the url bar? Though when I type ' 127.0.0.1' in there, there's nothing wrong :P!I switched from 32bit XP to 64bit XP yesterday and got IE7 for the first time.Installed XAMPP (latest version), tried to access it with ' localhost' and it hang for like 15 seconds,very annoying! ( it does that everytime I put ' localhost' in the URL bar )(Sorry for the small post, but there isn't much more to say!)Thank you for those who reply :P,bakr_2k5

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)

Do you use any proxy server? It may be caused because of that...Another thing is that localhost is your 'domain' in local - it is (I don't exacly remember) but propably localised in windows, that after writing 'localhost' you get you domian :PBut in the end it uses 127.0.0.0, and for me personaly it doesn't matter what I write, but I use 192.168.0.2 (my ip in local network)If you don't like writing that numbers (it may annoy ypu, I know) ypu can tipe in url name of your computer for exaple I have 'athlon' - I wrote it while I wass installing WINDOWSIf you don't remember it, you can check it in properies of 'my computer' (I would told you what it is named, but I don't have english windows, but polish :P )

Do you use any proxy server? It may be caused because of that...Another thing is that localhost is your 'domain' in local - it is (I don't exacly remember) but propably localised in windows, that after writing 'localhost' you get you domian :P
But in the end it uses 127.0.0.0, and for me personaly it doesn't matter what I write, but I use 192.168.0.2 (my ip in local network)
If you don't like writing that numbers (it may annoy ypu, I know) ypu can tipe in url name of your computer for exaple I have 'athlon' - I wrote it while I wass installing WINDOWS
If you don't remember it, you can check it in properies of 'my computer' (I would told you what it is named, but I don't have english windows, but polish :P )

I prefer the 'localhost' way. Anyway those things you said will work too! But it just seems like somekind of bug, since Firefox hasn't such freeze-up with 'localhost'. I'll see if there would be more posts :P
Thanks anyway!! :P

bakr_2k5

Are you sure that you installed the correct version of Internet Explorer 7?
There's a x86 version and a x86_64 (or M$ might call it x64).

Plus, Windows XP x64 Edition is quite experimental still.

xboxrulz

It installs IE7 x86 & x64 by default (both), it's installed by Automatic Updates. Anyway in my opinion Windows XP x64 is quite stable and such, never had a crash whatsoever!
I hope to see a solution to this 'localhost' thing soon :P

Merry Christmas :P,

bakr_2k5

Can you post the contents of your c:\windows\hosts file and perhaps the Apache directives for the Vhosting from the httpd.config files to ensure that the default settings for localhost are correct, please and thanks. Maybe post them here to have someone double check them, even if they are the default settings as created by XAMPP.

It installs IE7 x86 & x64 by default (both), it's installed by Automatic Updates. Anyway in my opinion Windows XP x64 is quite stable and such, never had a crash whatsoever!I hope to see a solution to this 'localhost' thing soon :P

Merry Christmas :P,

bakr_2k5

odd, it usually crashes all the games I try to run it with.

xboxrulz

Can you post the contents of your c:\windows\hosts file and perhaps the Apache directives for the Vhosting from the httpd.config files to ensure that the default settings for localhost are correct, please and thanks.
Maybe post them here to have someone double check them, even if they are the default settings as created by XAMPP.

hosts file isn't in 'c:\windows\hosts' but in 'C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts' though on Windows 9x it's the first one,,,, Anyways the hosts file is setup for ' 127.0.0.1 localhost ' so that isn't the problem.

I have attached the httpd.conf file, but it's the XAMPP default one so I don't think there anything wrong with it.
Perhaps you can find a faulthy thing in it. Though in Firefox and Opera it works like it needs to do. I think it's a IE7 specific problem... Anyway I dropped IE7 as my default browser and downloaded Opera (since it's the standard compliant browser), and I'm happy now :)

Isn't there something like a bugzilla for M$ products? :)

bakr_2k5

Seems to me like you ran a automatic windows update, reboot the machine go to security tab in internet options and make sure the settings of local intranet is set to default and not custom.-Rohan

I have a similar problem, I installed xampp from a clean install of windows xp pro sp2 after all the updates. works fine on my machine at home but this work machine hangs when I hit localhost or 127.0.0.1 or anything else I can think of when apache is running. if I turn apache off it shows timed out straight away.this is in all browsers (I have safari, opera, firefox, IE6.)I have tried uninstalling xampp checking its fully uninstalled and then reinstalling it but so far no luck.I have tomcat which runs on 8080 fine. I looked in see:windows and ..system32 and many other variants for the hosts file I cant seem to find it .. (which is odd seeing as I can hit localhost:8080 with tomcat running..)at home I have this installed on home and pro sp2 (identical to works machine)all x86 .I'm welcome to any idea's or suggestions.. maybe I have overlooked something? thanks Dan

I have a similar problem, I installed xampp from a clean install of windows xp pro sp2 after all the updates. works fine on my machine at home but this work machine hangs when I hit localhost or 127.0.0.1 or anything else I can think of when apache is running. if I turn apache off it shows timed out straight away.this is in all browsers (I have safari, opera, firefox, IE6.)I have tried uninstalling xampp checking its fully uninstalled and then reinstalling it but so far no luck.I have tomcat which runs on 8080 fine. I looked in see:windows and ..system32 and many other variants for the hosts file I cant seem to find it .. (which is odd seeing as I can hit localhost:8080 with tomcat running..)at home I have this installed on home and pro sp2 (identical to works machine)all x86 .I'm welcome to any idea's or suggestions.. maybe I have overlooked something? thanks Dan