xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
smyke89

Epson Emp-x3 review

I had the chance to be a part in the team that reviewed an EPSON EMP-X3 video projector. These are the things me and my other 2 colleagues have written about it. (The review is in Romanian for the IT Magazine I work for... if there are mistaken translations, I will try to edit them)

Epson EMP-X3

Epson EMP-X3 is a multimedia video project designated both for home and office use (even tough I think you won’t buy something that costs 1500$-1600$ to use it at home)

Construction and Facilities

Conceived on a 3LCD 0.6 inch matrix (1.542com), with a 1024*768 (XGA) resolution, the Epson EMP-X3 can reproduce up to 16.7 million colors, ensuring a 400:1 contrast. The E-TORL Lamp (Epson Twin Optimized Reflection Lamp, an patented Epson technology) work at 170 W, with mercury vapors, and it ensures a good luminosity (2000 lumens ANSI in “High Brightness” mode) and works up to 3000 hours (this is from what they say).

The “Instant Off” functions ensure instantaneous power switching, without a cooling time, and the “Quick Start” function allows the showing of the first image after just 4 seconds, little time, when compared with other projectors out there on the market. The sound it makes is barely audible. The 1 Watt speaker produces a clear sound for presentations, but to view a movie you should have a dedicated sound sistem. With a weight of only 2.6kg, this projector made by Epson is one of the lightest from it’s class. It comes with a bag for transportation from a textile fabric, a remote control with the battery it needs to work, and with a VGA cable to connect it with the PC.

The image is clear, especially on max resolution , the colors being well reproduced. The luminosity is good even when you use it in a bright room (during the day for example). The keystone function corrects automaticly the 4 corners of the image, avoiding the distortions when the image is not projected normally on a screen or when the screen is improvised. The focus and the optic zoom are adjusted manually. The projecting distance varies from 0.9 to 9 meters, put at the maximum end, the pixeling effect is noticeable.

Conclusion

The Epson EMP-X3 is a multifunctional projector, with a good price. The good image quality recommends it for high resolution movies and quality presentations.