xisto Community
flashdiamond

Is Vista Any Good?

as of now, i still use windows 2000. this is just my opinion but windows 2000 was the best OS that came out of M$ so far. ME was a disaster, XP SP2 was worse, and Vista is just unstable. I know people say that vista is a bad rip-off of Mac OS X and the design actually resembles osx a lot. Not sure if it's true but some people claimed that leopard looks more like vista than vista looks like tiger. Not that it really matters, the only real use for Windows is for games (vista RTM doesn't even work very well with current games)

Yes Chesso, here you go.

http://winsupersite.com/windows/windows-vista-0

Right now I'm going to test it with my games.

First up, my favourite, Battlefield 2142.

Should work fine xboxrulz. I'm playing it back after my exams are finished, gametag Alegis.

Damn algebra. : :)

Here's the prob Alegis, PunkBuster doesn't support Windows Vista :@

and here's a disclaimer: to run Windows Vista without lag, you need 1GB of RAM. Even with Aero disabled you need at least 512 MB RAM to run the core smoothly (then ur apps will lag). I have 1 GB of RAM and my computer is using more than 50% of RAM with only small apps on like Windows Media Player, Firefox, Windows Live Messenger and Skype. It SHOULD NOT go over the 50% mark.

EDIT: Although Windows Vista is definitely ready, my computer isn't ready to handle it's memory intensive operating system, I'm degrading it back to current gen.

xboxrulz

According To MANY MANY Reviews By Many Popular Magizines and Websites... And Such.... You Would be a Complete Idiot To Use or Change to Windows Vista any Time Soon...Reasons Being As of Now It Is Considered the WORST Compatible Operating System on the Market... For a BASIC User... Lets Say Browsing Website or Email Only... You Might Get away With Installing The Vista OS without any Issuies... But As for Most of us Users... Lets Say "THE GAMER PC's" "Or Heavilly Hardwared PC's" Which pretty much populate the market the Most... You Are Not Advised or Able to upgrade to Vista any time Soon... Problly not till 2008 or Later..... Till Microsoft Makes Serious Instabilty Issuies Fixed on the Drivers and Software Capatibiltys.... Too Many to List...... Mostlly Problems with Newer Hardwares.If you Dont Believe Me Just go Pickup the Newest Issue of " MAXIMUM PC" magizine This Months "Feburary 2007" it has it right on the Front Page on Why NOT to Upgrade to Vista any time soon.

Edited by pyost (see edit history)

I beg to differ. As a beta tester, I haven't ran into major problems. Aside from speed issues, I only had 2 programs that didn't work with Windows Vista.These were:The GIMPHK2BN (Hong Kong Broadband phone service)xboxrulz

I've been beta testing Vista since M$ released the first version and I must admit I had some serious issues with RC1 & RC2, things like a program would crash, you check online for a fix and Vista says "This will be fixed in the final version".Anyway I recently received RTM build from M$ and I must admit its amazing, and yes some elements are MAC clones but other features such as Windows DVD Maker etc just add delight to the OS. Its stable, no driver issues, self cleans without user interference (If you're busy it will wait, even if midway through)...Auto update on certain OS drivers is clean, takes less space than XP and on a final note, I'm running the Ultimate version which M$ says won't run on my machine:P4 HT 2.93Ghz1Gb RAM80Gb HDDNvidia Geforce 6200le (128Mb onboard 128MB Shared)It runs perfect, no slow down, no hang, no problems, even with Aeroglass on...Anyone thinking of upgrading to Vista, I'd recommend it. Just one thing, if you don't have a TV tuner, don't bother with the Media Center element.ION Storm

Forgot to mention. As a gamer I reinstalled Far Cry, Battlefield 2142 and Half Life 2 with no issues.FPS were up, lag reduced and the beta Vista drivers from Nvidia were incredible.Only prog not to work was Nero Premium but a quick call to M$ and Ahead has resulted in a new patch winging its way to me this coming week.ION

I've had vista RTM for quite some time and i've installed a few games on Vista. i.e. Battlefield 2142, BF2, COD2, Halo, NFS, etc. With the new Nvidia drivers for Vista these games work fine but sometimes the menus and loading screens are a bit glitchy but the gameplay is much better than XP sp2. However, if anyone is a gamer on windows 2000, don't upgrade to vista just yet. Windows 2000 still plays better

Not really. Vista is more stable.

And Battlefield games and glitchy menus ... Crappy menus is something we've all had to endure ever since BF: Vietnam.

Anyways, what's up with the acronym KIC ION Storm? A dollar does not represent an S, and you seem rather satisfied. Or are you one of those guys that love to be obnoxious while using MS products? (just speculating, not accusing yet).

You Would be a Complete Idiot To Use or Change to Windows Vista any Time Soon...
Reasons Being As of Now It Is Considered the WORST Compatible Operating System on the Mark

A Writer Who Types Like This Immediately Loses Any Creditability. Also It Is Obvious He Has No Fcking Clue About What He Is Saying.

Here's the prob Alegis, PunkBuster doesn't support Windows Vista :@

Yikes no punkbuster? They'd better be damn quick with that since 2142 has some exploits from BF2 (surprise surprise).
Since I got an uber pc anyways (I got tired of CPU lags in games such as BF2) can't really tell much the difference unless I bother taking a RAM module out (which I won't).

First of all, Punkbuster installs and works on Vista (ever since pre-RC2). Also, most online multiplayer games for the PC use punkbuster but EA does the worst job with implementing PunkBuster. I've played COD2 and you would never know it was ever there. In Battlefield games, one of the first things to greet you is a random PunkBuster kick.Vista only works better when you are actually playing the game but the increase is insignificant.When it comes to stability, Windows 2000 wins hands down. If anyone gets Vista, you'd probably want to wait until M$ releases a service pack.

well, Vista is currently bogging down my Battlefield 2142 (on RC 2, it had some major memory leak), I hope it's fixed on RTM which I have now, I'll test 2142 later this week.

When it comes to stability, Windows 2000 wins hands down.

I disagree, the Battlefield series died on me on Windows 2000, it locks my system up completely. If you want pure stability, play it on Windows 2003 :)

xboxrulz

Iv heard many things about vista and am not sure if Vista is good or not. The ready boost feature sound very good, but i'v heard it doesn't help that much. I also have heard that games don't run faster on Vista, though I have also heard they do. Can anybody confirm weather or not they truly do run better or not? I have also heard that it turns off all non essential programs off while playing games to run them smoother, just some rumors i'v heard, i'd post another thread but i saw one just get shut down because there were already too many threads about vista.

Vista just isn't worth $200+ yet. M$ still has to work out many more problems with Vista (especially in Ultimate). As of now, some Directx 10 installations are having problems and Vista is still rather limited in regards to video cards. Crossfire and SLi are not supported in Vista just yet. This wasn't nVidia or ATI's fault since M$ kept changing many key components in Vista.