xisto Community
flashdiamond

Is Vista Any Good?

The vista isn't out yet so I really don't know. (..) You pobably shouldn't get it in Janurary 2007 just because of the risk that the vista is just a windows xp sp3

So you admit you don't know a single thing about Vista yet are one to quickly discourage others to obtain it, despite what has been mentioned here already. I have no choice but to label you as ignorant - do forgive me for that.

In my opinion it is going to be anouther windows xp (...)The vista is going to be like a powerful XP. Nothing new.

In a topic for someone asking advice on Vista, you ignore what is mentioned in the topic and post a reply to the topic starter stating you guess it is just a "powerful XP" and MS was just having a 5 year party 'developing' it. Or just wasting their time on 'nothing new'. How about you read what is mentioned, see the links I mentioned earlier and base your opinion or that. Or rather be silent.

I could compair the diffrances to the xbox and the xbox 360 (not to much exept more powerful) I would like to see more changes like the nintindo wii, stuff that will actually be a BIG diffrance not just small upgrades. I suggest you wait until next year to get the vista and see the reviews.

Or how about reading them NOW.And the OS business has nothing to do with the gaming consoles. It is actually retarded to compare a new OS version with Nintendo Wii (which I have at my home and love).

Please, please - read before you post. I feel ashamed in your place for that post.

---------------------------------------------

Windows Genuine Advantage not only blocked out pirates, but even legitimate customers, how is this giving the customer a peace of mind by buying the rights to run Windows?

Hmm? How come. Legitimate users that changed hardware stuff like their mobo can easily get a renewal by calling MS.Defense against piracy usually isn't in the favor of regular users for any product anyways.

Alegis, I too am using Windows Vista, but right now I'm running RC1 as there are no other ways of obtaining the full version anyways, and I don't know if I'm going to blow CAD $499 just for gaming on my PC. Anyways, back to the Mac thing. I am definitely not trying to defend Apple here at all. I like their products and such, but I don't think they may necessarily be better than Microsoft Windows, however, I am defending UNIX, which of course MacOS X is part of that family and Apple is the only company successfully placed UNIX on the home computing market.

I do hope they give trial versions since they made horrible versions like beta 2 widely available anyways. Note there are upgrade versions, but anyways I'm not here to justify the price tag - just that is a new better product, definitely not an XP SP3 or blatant rip-off.

We've beaten this horse to death xboxrulz, but it was fun in the process!
Edited by Alegis (see edit history)

Many people use Windows Live Messenger a lot, especially teenagers, they use it all the time.

That hardly make it a basic of Windows. It is not a core application on which others rely (thank god they gave up on windows messenger)

Windows Genuine Advantage not only blocked out pirates, but even legitimate customers

That is always the case with such protection. The rate is actually 0 for those who make the call to their free local customer support.xboxrulz

And holy ****, while configuring my mic (it was actually much better to uninstall the audio programs that came with my mobo and have Vista select another driver automaticcaly) I noticed I forgot to use the speech recognition feature. Been using it the past 2 days and absolutely love it.
While I used speech recognition before, this beats it hands down. I miss the option to make custom commands (and not just add dictation words), but it is lovely so far. Just like the search (which works much better than Mac OS X's in search) it is spread over the OS.

Open Limewire for example will open it immediately, even though one may have only installed it and not have made any shortcuts or the like. I was surprised by the accuracy of the dictation mode, it's learning process and ease of correction. It makes navigating faster and a whole lot more fun - I think I'll make a seperate topic about this later as it is an overlooked feature that really has me "addicted to it". It is not entirely new of course, but its implementation now in contrast to 3rd party software is much better and new.

edit: oh seems I replied already. Oh well.
Edited by Alegis (see edit history)

I installed Windows Vista three months ago and i didn't like it because my PC's performance is out of Vista's requirements. My PC's configuration is show below:CPU: Celeron 1200 MHz.RAM: DDR 512 Mb.HDD: IDE ATA 160 Gb.Motherboard: VIA CLE266.Video card : integrated in motherboard (chipset CLE266). Memory : 64 Mb.Even this configuration is normal for MS requirements for Vista , my PC worked slowly than the previous versions of Windows (XP). And i often waited for some operations to complete.Graphically Windows Vista is very beautiful. I think because of my Video memory ( 64 Mb) i had worse performance while working with Windows Vista than previous versions of Windows.

Vista basic (aero disabled) should run better than XP, and is definitely more stable. Strange.While it is true better computers make use of more features, it is not a necessity. For Dx 10 it is. Well anyways I'm glad I'm not paying for Vista, but I'd do it.Next 2 windows versions (fiji and vienna) will be in 2008 and 2010. Smaller versions, which I think is a system that will better appeal to everyone than one big leap.

It could've just been his RAM having some trouble with Windows Vista. I had that problem with my Buffalo RAM, I swapped in some new Kingston RAM and it works better.Another possibility could be his mobo doesn't work well with Vista.lol, yes we have Alegis, we've technically wrote all the good and bad sides to Vista here.xboxrulz

For whatever reason I just don't find myself getting excited about operating systems.

When Win95 came out, all the jokes going around were "have you heard about the latest Microsoft operating system? It's called Mac '85."

I started hating operating systems then ... when I had bought a system with Windows 95A, and had network card issues that were only corrected with Windows 95B.

Then we had problems with Windows 98 ... same old issues.

Then when Xp came out with all those service packs, techs were advising against installing SP2.

Our newest machine has XP and all the updates installed. It's a week old so there hasn't been time for things to get messed up. But only one day in ... we saw that the desltop doesn't redraw correctly. There's a blank white spot that only goes away when you boot.

Sound like an OS config issue? Who knows!?

Anyway ... vista doesn't excite me ... neither did the other versions of Windows.

But when the latest version of the apps that I use come out ... I like to pick THOSE up.

Just my Canadian 2 cents. (So about 1.8 US cents.)

Gin

Eh.. I'm not so happy about Windows Vista. I tried the Beta version when it was out and I was not happy at all. I'm leaning towards an Apple as my next computer. I may try Vista when they get all their bugs and crap flattened out but that'll be in another year or so.

With any operating system, you should NEVER try the beta, as im sure you will have a bad experience wtih it. I would wait till all the bugs are fixed before i buy a new OS. In the case of Vista, it is a very good operating system especially in the terms of better graphics and speed. To neo, in my opinion your specs are expected to have problems running with Vista, especially with a beta version. Keep with XP for a while till you get a better computer, then wait a year or so till Vista's bugs are fixed, then i guarantee your computer will be at its optimum performance.

It's no use FoRsAkEn, I assume Artluo100 didn't read a single post before he uttered that phrase.

I still find it strange they made so much effort in getting beta 2 spread, while it was a mediocre version. The build right after was pretty decent. I reckon it's not because of more bug spotting, but 3rd party awareness of the OS for drivers. Perhaps should have distributed a RTM trial instead - although one could format PC once every month, unless in the trial version it is required to use the key when installing and activated over the internet it would only work for 30 days. Anyways that's not the point.

lol, yes we have Alegis, we've technically wrote all the good and bad sides to Vista here.

Well I merely linked to the feature lists for those interested. I'm just extremely contra "mweh Vista is just XP SP3 IMO and will only be good in a year orso after a SP"; which isn't the case and is a pleasant change from windows launches. They waited long enough to release this.

I'm going to pop in RC 2 into my machine later, I forgot to download it off the Microsoft server earlier, so now I'm waiting for the torrent to finish >.<. (It's still legit since I got the legit serial number). Anyways, I have concluded that RC1 is very stable (stable enough that I replaced Windows 2003/XP for it, even Linux) ... slow, but stable. I had only one crash due to a NVIDIA driver faulty in RC1 resulting in a BSoD when I overloaded the system.xboxrulz

Ya i think vista is very good ive got the pre release for itYES full version anyway its really freaking fast but the downside of it is you need to upgrade your processor and ram or at least i hadto but other than that and the price its going to be its a really really good OSits fast and if you have ethernet its increases your DL speed increases a little on a modem too. the downside of it is there are hardly any programs working with it nowits got a kool theme :) and ie7 is already on there :). So in all ITS really GOOD

I have a Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2533 MHz processor with 1GB of RAM, it's slower than both Linux and Windows XP, so I don't know about freaking fast.

It's slower, but its still working fine. Not a major problem.

Right now I'm going to test it with my games.

First up, my favourite, Battlefield 2142.

xboxrulz

Well, you have to expect bugs I mean come on, I even checked out the official site and towards the graphical user itnerface end and even beyond they have considerably changed alot!There most always has been quite a number of heavy changes between OS's, so it' sonly natural there would be more bugs introduced, although I even admit there's some that they let slip through there hands through a few versions.But this one is looking quite good indeed!I wonder though, is it as good as they make it out to be? And is there anything they have inside there Vista package that there not telling us about.