xisto Community
bakr_2k5

Sygate Still Secure? Downloaded the latest version they released, before being bought by Sy

Hi there,

First off a few days ago I switched from Linux to Windows (don't ask me why!) and trying to get it secure.

Second, don't know if this is the right forum, but it seemed the best choice to me!

Alright, now my question:

Is Sygate Personal Firewall still secure? (it's quite dated now!)

Symantec bought/destroyed Sygate. But I downloaded Sygate Personal Firewall from http://www.oldversion.com/
'>oldversion.com, it's the last version they released and it's the firewall that best suites my needs.

I'm behind a router (with firewall) at the moment, but i like to be a DMZ host. And then I will need some good security :P

Oh, I really hate it when a company buys up the good stuff! :P

bakr_2k5

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)

get Kaspersky Internet Security lastes producyts and for got about your security!!! i have never used Sygate products may be i dont love it anyway its my opinion about that may be some people say that im wrong but im induvudual mind is not for sygate, i more preffer tools like ZoneAlarm, but since Kaspersky Internet Securty released i have forgot (in most situations) this problem!! just try some and i think u wll never ever get back to programs like FireWall!!! And i think you have already your best security i mean about your router!!! i think u shouldnt be worry so about this question

And i think you have already your best security i mean about your router!!!

My computer will be completely open to the world, since I set my router to use my computer a the DMZ (which forwards ALL ports to my computer) and there for I'm very much in need of a firewall :P

Anyway I'll take a look at the Kaspersky Internet Security stuff.

bakr_2k5

EDIT: Saw the Kaspersky Internet Security stuff, and it's not what I'm looking for. It a whole suite which I don't need. I only need a firewall and prefer Sygate Personal Firewall. Oh and my question was Is it still secure? and not Which firewall/security suite do you prefer? :P (no offence!!)

I don no why you like your Sygate FireWall very much, you should try ZoneAlarm stuff then!!! then please tell me your impressions about it, and if you want i have tool which viewing, and you can see what Ip and Which Port connected to your PC in the moment and you can easly Close Session or Kill Host that making connection!! program call like CurlPorts but its not so public programm, probably you are not able to find out it by yourself, if u want to see i can send you this program or will try to findout link for download!!! anyway its not bad programm!!

I don no why you like your Sygate FireWall very much, you should try ZoneAlarm stuff then!!! then please tell me your impressions about it, and if you want i have tool which viewing, and you can see what Ip and Which Port connected to your PC in the moment and you can easly Close Session or Kill Host that making connection!! program call like CurlPorts but its not so public programm, probably you are not able to find out it by yourself, if u want to see i can send you this program or will try to findout link for download!!! anyway its not bad programm!!

You probably mean CurrPorts (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html) this is almost the same as Sygate does, only Sygate functions as a firewall too. Anyway I have heard BAD things about ZonaAlarm free!

I no longer recommend the free version of the ZoneAlarm firewall. First it is a very basic product compared to the commercial ZoneAlarm Pro version. The leak-test performance of the latest free version is extremely poor while the Pro version is excellent. Second, it can be a troublesome program on some PCs.

Also I'm not into buying software or using cracked software. I mostly only use opensource or freeware software!Anyway thank you for your suggestions, but for now I'll stick with Sygate Personal Firewall till someone has a good alternative which is mostly the same as Sygate. Probably you should install Sygate Personal Firewall (just to see what's it like), then you'll know why I'm so in love with it :P

bakr_2k5