xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mirdux

Security Gap-proof Staff Policy For Website

Im just finishing it now, i really wanna make sure that the process i use to select staff for my site doesnt have any loopholes, for with the last sight the process failed miserably... Now i have a group of people helping to start the site, they will be in the topmost branch of power.. Then in the lower branch are staff selected from the users.. Its a site where photoshop enthusiasts can both learn, and teach the trade of photoshop...... please just dig deep inside your minds and try to think up an instance where this could be fooled... Upper-branch corruption is the only thing i wont take as an answer :P So here it is:""""""""""""""" First let me state what we expect from our staff here: Behavioral/Knowlege Criteria - Must have a relatively sound grasp on operating Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Must be knowledgeable in the various functions Photoshop can perform - Must be able to take questions in a friendly way, last thing we need is a hostile person with power - Must be patient with beginners Physical Qualifications (as of Oct 26, 2006) Theese are a few ways to prove status as a good staff member + Won/Placed Highly in design contest launched by the administration - Be reminded that at any point in time, you may respectfully question an administrator's decision on the top designs. If an appeal is made, a poll will be set up for users to decide, if the Administrator is considered wrong, what is considered right. + Was selected personally by an administrator - A high-tier administrator is reserved the right to select any member to be part of staff, however this action must go through and be voted on by the current staff. All decisions made in this manner are final, and cannot be appealed by members unless the new staff is proved to be corrupt. + Was selected by a unanimous vote among members - Staff may be selected also by regular members, this is done so by posting in staff selection with a poll mentioning why the member should be voted into staff. Staff members and administrators are allowed to vote in theese polls, however, >50% of the votes MUST come from regular members for the poll to be considered valid. Criteria for REMOVING a staff member Well we aren't all perfect, are we? + Brought up by members -Must have 3 valid complaints before a removal poll may be posted, at that point all voters must have over 75% in the yes category, along with a unanimous vote among the staff +Brought up by Staff/Administrator -Is voted on ONLY by staff, must be a unanimous vote. If vote reveals that staff member must be removed, the action will be reviewed by an administrator and directed accordingly. Staff Bullets + There is no required time a staff member must be on the forums, they may visit as they please. If a staff member hasn't logged in for 2 weeks time without posting absence in the staff forum, then thier account will be reviewed by select staff and administrators and dealt with accordingly. + Although it is not required of them, staff members are encouraged to be involved in the mentor program. Again this isnt necessarily a time-consuming commitment alot of the time, but touching base with your student at least 1 time a week is encouraged. Students are allowed to post an inactivity claim on thier teacher, this is reviewed by staff. Staff Perks +An email address of Photoshop-HQ ie. "you@Photoshop-HQ.com" SMTP enabled Please do not abuse this right, if a complaint is filed of spamming your email will be removed and your staff position reviewed by administrators. +An Authoritative position on all of the website This right is NOT to be abused. Reports of a power-hungry staff member will more than likely lead to a unreviewed removal of staff status. """"""""""""""""Please dont misconstrue this as a "copy/paste" post, ive had some issues with the domain and have hadnowhere to host a txt document or index.html file for a while now :P

I would say that it is a start except the following

+ Won/Placed Highly in design contest launched by the administration- Be reminded that at any point in time, you may respectfully question an administrator's decision on the top designs. If an appeal is made, a poll will be set up for users to decide, if the Administrator is considered wrong, what is considered right.

I maybe no PS CS2 expert but anyone can whip out a good design, their are hundreds of tutorial sites out their that go into some detail. So anyone could master that little rule in a blink of an eye. I would either drop it or reword, because they way you have it, in order to become a staff member you would have to have won a few awards.

Sounds kind of pompous and also fact those who don't have great PS skills can still do better in other area's of website/forum management.

I been around the block a few times that people will begin to think they are better then others just because they won a award.

I think you should firstly create a diagram of the hierarchy of the staff and their span of control. This way, you'll be able to monitor who exactly does what and where and who for.

Not all staff members should have nowledge in the subject. I have no knowledge of Photoshop, but plenty of Fireworks. I can easily review a design that is done using Photoshop or even Paint.

- Must have a relatively sound grasp on operating Adobe Photoshop CS2

Relatively sound??? More like relatively vague idea. You're sugar coating it already. Be concise and straight to the point. Give bullets on which things are a must. Different skills within PS.

- Must be knowledgeable in the various functions Photoshop can perform

Same as above, just worded differently.

- Must be able to take questions in a friendly way, last thing we need is a hostile person with power

It's too ambiguous. If a member is slatering the staff member and has asked a very personal question which makes the member of staff uncomfortable, they shouldn't be expected to take it in a friendly way.

- Must be patient with beginners

They wouldn't become a staff member if they weren't. Remember, your selection process should take care of details like this.
The rest of it goes the same, you need to think more of the actual terms that are required, not the details which come through the selection process.