xisto Community
vizskywalker

Obtain The Audio Output From iTunes

Okay, so I've been working on a program to stream music from iTunes, and I'd really not go into the details of why, cause they're not important. But anyway, I've run into the issue where I need to obtain the music iTunes is outputting to the sound card so it can be streamed. I'm not 100% sure on how this process works, but I've been told that iTunes should be outputting a WAV file to the sound card. I was wondering how I could access this WAV file and copy it, so I can stream it. I don't think this is possible in C#, and it probably needs to be done in C++, but the bulk of the application is written in C#, so if there is a way to do it in C#, that would be nice. Otherwise I just need help figuring out how to do it in C++ or C and then import that function/class/whatever into the C# code.~Viz

Okay, so I've been working on a program to stream music from iTunes, and I'd really not go into the details of why, cause they're not important. But anyway, I've run into the issue where I need to obtain the music iTunes is outputting to the sound card so it can be streamed. I'm not 100% sure on how this process works, but I've been told that iTunes should be outputting a WAV file to the sound card. I was wondering how I could access this WAV file and copy it, so I can stream it. I don't think this is possible in C#, and it probably needs to be done in C++, but the bulk of the application is written in C#, so if there is a way to do it in C#, that would be nice. Otherwise I just need help figuring out how to do it in C++ or C and then import that function/class/whatever into the C# code.
~Viz

I am going to start out and say that I am not really a programmer (with the exception of some web stuff, etc).
But if it helps, I know that an open source program called Audacity records from the sound card like you are describing. The website is https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ and I believe you can find a link to the source in the Get Involved section (not sure, I am having internet connectivity problems at the moment).