xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

[canadian Parliament] Passes Motion Recognizing Québécois As Nation

Posted Image

House passes motion recognizing QuĂŠbĂŠcois as nation

Last Updated: Monday, November 27, 2006 | 8:51 PM ET

CBC News

The House of Commons has overwhelmingly passed a motion recognizing QuĂŠbĂŠcois as a nation within Canada.

Conservatives, most Liberal MPs, the NDP and the Bloc voted 266 to 16 in support of the controversial motion, which earlier in the day had prompted the resignation of Michael Chong as intergovernmental affairs minister.

Fifteen Liberal MPs voted against the motion, along with Independent MP Garth Turner.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper had introduced the surprise motion on Nov. 22, raising the ante on a Bloc QuĂŠbĂŠcois motion that sought to declare Quebecers a nation without reference to Canada.

The motion states: "That this House recognize that the QuĂŠbĂŠcois form a nation within a united Canada."

The prime minister has said he is using the word nation in a "cultural-sociological" rather than in a legal sense.

Continue Article

The nationhood idea has preoccupied Ottawa since the Bloc proposed a motion calling on the House to recognize Quebecers as a nation and Harper made a counter-proposal to define QuĂŠbĂŠcois as a nation within Canada.

Posted Image

Stephen Harper votes for a motion recognizing QuĂŠbĂŠcois as a nation. Stephen Harper votes for a motion recognizing QuĂŠbĂŠcois as a nation.

(CBC)

Over the following two days, the Bloc first amended its motion to say that they are a nation "currently within Canada" â leaving the door open to independence â and then declared its support for the government motion.

Liberal leadership hopefuls Gerard Kennedy, who doesn't have a seat in Parliament, and Ken Dryden announced on Monday that they opposed the motion.

Dryden and leadership candidate Joe Volpe voted against the motion.

Chong had said he would abstain from voting because the motion "implies the recognition of ethnicity.

"I do not believe in an ethnic nationalism. I believe in a civic nationalism."

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yup, this is gonna cause trouble in Canada ... :S. The main problem is: what defines a "nation"

Your thoughts?

xboxrulz

Charge them all with Treason. Stupid politicians.

Haha... :P So, what do you think, xboxrulz, since it is stated you are from Canada...

Well, I guess the most important thing now is what does "a nation within a nation" means in real terms? I mean, right now, it is just semantics. At the end of the day, you might just get a Quebec state, that's all. After all, politicians might be stupid when you view what they say in absolute terms but heck... politicians don't mean what they say most of the time.... :P So, I am interested to see what turns out from this...

Well, as a Canadian in Ontario, I don't think Quebec is a nation. This will lead to bigger problem like the separatist movement in the 1980s. Stephen Harper did this so that he can get more votes in order to get a majority government in the next election.I don't think he's doing it just because he thinks that it's going to help Quebec, but it's going to cause major problems in the future. He's just thinking about himself and not for the greater good for Canadians.Lastly, he did the same thing about lowering our GST, it's pure bs. 1-2% isn't going to affect the economy. The prices in the stores are still the same, it just means that the stores can just pocket 1-2 more percent. This was just so that he can get the Conservative party back into power.I believe heavily in an unified Canada, not one that is divided into little pieces.xboxrulz

I agree that the 1-2% tax drop was pure BS. Canada is already in debt- the government NEEDS money gained from taxes. The economy is not going to boom with this minute change. The only people benefiting are the conservative tycoons that controll the big businesses. Whoop-de-do.

Who knows maybe Canada will go to war with them now :P. In a small wall Quebec can be considered a hostile nation with in Canada.Now think about this now that Quebec is it's own "nation" they will be having a lot of problems.First they have to make their own currency, they won't be allowed to use Canada's, set up their own constitution, set up their own military. Basically what I am saying is that they are starting from scratch.