xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SP Rao

I Got My PC Post your comments/sugestions about the configeration

After all these years I am no more a parasite for PC! I just bought myself a PC last weekend.I contemplated a lot on which processor to go for... Dual core processors were way too expensive. Didn't want to go for P4 processor. Finally I chose AMD Athlon 3000+ 64-bit processor(AM2 Socket). Here's the configuration. M/B: MSI motherboard(K9N6PGM-F That was the best one for my budget aroung with built sound card having 5.1-channel DVD output, 128MB Graphics accelerator, Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000)etc...) RAM : 512 MB Transcend DDR2 RAMHDD: 80GB Hitachi SATA HDDCD Drive: Dual layer DVD writer (LG)Cabinet : i-Ball ATX cabinet Peripherals: Logitech Keyboard and mouse. Apart from this I have a Compaq monitor (belonged to one of my friends before. This one I'm using temporarily. I have plans for upgrading it. ), I have an Intel Webcam, A USB Foppy drive, A Memory Card Reader.I haven't bought any OS yet. I was trying to install Fedora. Had some problems with it(Everything was right except for the fact that mouse pointer was invisible; though mouse was working!!!). Now contemplating on WinXP. One thing that I really liked about the Athlon processor was the Cool n quiet technology. The comp really works very silently. You can barely hear the fan. It's really good!Any suggestion on upgrading/ or on configuration is welcome!

Looking at the specs I'm wondering what your budget was.
Considering a rough estimate on your motherboard would be around $50-70 USD depending where u got it from.

Why you got 533Mhz ram when your motherboard can support..
quote:
Memory: 2x 240pin DDR2-800/667/533 DIMMs, Max capacity 2GB
I would of spent the extra $$ and gone at least for some 667Mhz ram.

If your looking for an OS, and you don't want to run Windows you can give Ubuntu Linux a try. They will ship a CD or CD's to you for free. It normally takes around 4-5 weeks, but worth it considering its free.
https://www.ubuntu.com/ for more information about Ubuntu along with Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu.
https://blog.canonical.com/2011/04/05/shipit-comes-to-an-end/ to actually order the CD(s).

Anyway looks nice, aslong as you dont consider it to be running your DVD, Quake 4 (full specs) and performing a Full System scan. :) But who does that anyway? Oh.. me. :D

Why you got 533Mhz ram when your motherboard can support..

quote:

Memory: 2x 240pin DDR2-800/667/533 DIMMs, Max capacity 2GB

I would of spent the extra $$ and gone at least for some 667Mhz ram.

Why would he ? It's not like the 3000+ would have any advantage from having high speed memory and he probably won't play a lot of (heavy) games, so the onboard graphics card won't have much advantage either (if the onboard graphics card shares memory).

Well, i am a big fan of AMD, and i think you have made the right choice, even tough 3000+ is not exactly top-edge, i still think it is a good processor.The motherboard, if we stick just to the MOTHERBOARD (northbridge and southbridge), is good. But considering the fact that you have onboard sound and onboard Graphics, i can see that you are not a gamer. Even tough the sound can be good (but not even as good as a Creative Live Value 5.1.), i did not encounter an onboard Graphics Accelerator that was even decent. This is, from my point of view, the weakest point of your PC.512 MB of RAM is the least you can have and expect your software to run smoothly.the Hard Drive is your choice, buecause it depends on how much space you use. It is a decent PC, but i whould not be happy to have it!P.S. I did not even comment the peripherals, because logitech is a great brand.

I got my laptop 3 years ago and now I am looking for an update for my graphics card, but I can’t seem to find any. I tried searching google and I emailed pcworld asking if they could help me find one. But they didn’t have any. Right now the memory size is 64 MB; I need higher if I won’t to play Microsoft flight sim x. if any one knows where I can find one please let me know. My laptop model no is V25 if that helps.