xisto Community
WeaponX

Paid Hosting At Computing Host

I have searched around for a new web host and will trim my options down to Xisto - Web Hosting (since it was recommended by one of the Mods here) and 1AND1. I want to use 1AND1 because of all that space they give me (I know...all that space will probably not be used, but I want to have it anyway since it's part of the package :D). But the thing I don't like is that they don't have SSI support for the Home Package and their database limit is 100MB.Now my questions...1. I looked and saw that the chart says that MySQL databases is unlimited. Is that unlimited in terms of size or databases? I'm sure my forum will hit over 100MB over time and I have no idea why 1AND1 has this limit which seems ridiculous unless there is a way to split the database in half or more automatically once it reaches the limit - if someone knows if this is possible, please let me know as well.2. Will Xisto - Web Hosting provide domain registration or will I have to use a domain registrar service to do this? If no, does anyone know of a domain registrar that will not give out my private information without having to register with their service to hide my information? I hate GoDaddy's service because of this. 1AND1 has an edge over them already because of this even though it's a one time yearly fee.3. I will most likely need help transferring my data over from my old hosts to the new one. This especially includes my database which is not my specialty. If someone could help me set this up as soon as I'm registered that would be great.If anyone has used the Xisto - Web Hosting service before, please post your comments here as well. I want to know if they are really reliable before signing up for the service. I love Xisto but have to be sure that the paid hosting is just as good (should be better :) ).Thanks.

1. I looked and saw that the chart says that MySQL databases is unlimited. Is that unlimited in terms of size or databases? I'm sure my forum will hit over 100MB over time and I have no idea why 1AND1 has this limit which seems ridiculous unless there is a way to split the database in half or more automatically once it reaches the limit - if someone knows if this is possible, please let me know as well.

Unlimited is in terms of Quantity and Size. So you don't have to worry about anything.. :-)

2. Will Xisto - Web Hosting provide domain registration or will I have to use a domain registrar service to do this? If no, does anyone know of a domain registrar that will not give out my private information without having to register with their service to hide my information? I hate GoDaddy's service because of this. 1AND1 has an edge over them already because of this even though it's a one time yearly fee.

We do provide domain registration but not with whois privacy. You can continue to manage your site from 1and1. Domain Registration : https://xisto.com/

3. I will most likely need help transferring my data over from my old hosts to the new one. This especially includes my database which is not my specialty. If someone could help me set this up as soon as I'm registered that would be great.

Online techs are Xisto - Web Hosting are ready to help you with 24/7. :-)

If anyone has used the Xisto - Web Hosting service before, please post your comments here as well. I want to know if they are really reliable before signing up for the service. I love Xisto but have to be sure that the paid hosting is just as good (should be better biggrin.gif ).

The paid hosting servers operate more smoothly due to limited number of accounts, limited abuse etx. The management is same. So, Quality is assured:-)

If anyone has used the Xisto - Web Hosting service before, please post your comments here as well. I want to know if they are really reliable before signing up for the service. I love Xisto but have to be sure that the paid hosting is just as good (should be better :) ).

I have the Plan 3S (2.1GB with 33.3GB bw) and other than different hosting size and bandwdith I cannot tell the difference. That goes to show you the reputation of Xisto hosting service--most hosting will offer lesser package to free hosting and full package to only paid customers. Xisto - Web Hosting's paid hosting and Xisto's free hosting are identical except for the hosting size and SSH telnet (paid hosting will have one).

Of course, Xisto - Web Hosting cannot be liable for its customers abusing database (much like Xisto gamma server) and causing a bit of headache. As far as I can tell for my past 6 months of hosting with server Theta, I have experienced 3 downtime which lasted no more than 50 minutes each. Theta's HTTP was up 100% for me but SQL was down during the times I described before.

Thanks for the replies guys. OK, I think I will switch over to Xisto - Web Hosting in that case.I just have one more question. I might be getting another domain soon. How does Xisto - Web Hosting separate the two domains from each other? I never had more than one site before but I read up on this at 1AND1 and they seem to be using a different control panel (not cPanel) that can handle separate domains.I want to switch over soon since I will probably run into problems during the migration of files and the database for my forum. I see that link for live chat support and will use it tomorrow.Thanks again. Hope to enjoy the new host :)

If I understood you properly, you want to host another web site on your server with a new domain name, right? In that case, it's quite easy. First of all, you need to create a subdomain for your default domain name and upload the site there. After that, you just need to add an addon domain to your account that points to the created subdomain (of course, you must configure nameservers first). This way you will have a site with a domain, and nothing will reveal that its "base" URL is a subdomain :)

To further explain how cPanel performs add-on domain, as pyost described, during the process of add-on domain it will create a sub-domain automatically. So you can skip the extra step of creating a sub-domain first then adding another domain. You may rename the sub-domain (in a form of folder name) to whatever you like ONLY during the initial process of add-on domain.Add-on domain will be treated like you have another hosting account. That is, you can have an index file and it will read as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ instead of http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to cover the other aspect: Parking a domain. This is useful if you have a domain name with different extensions. For example, domain dot COM, NET, ORG can all be pointed to one index page without switching URL, domain redirect or domain forward.