xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Flexibility

Do any of you people out there spend much time working on their flexibility? As a martial artist I do take a lot of time to train my flexibilty however it is something you have to be very dedicated to in order to acheive maximum results.So who here trains their flexibility and what flexibility exercises do you do?

Ah I do the groin stretch. You do know the groin stretch, right? You put the soles of your feet together (making sure that your knees are are close to the ground as possible) and slowly bring them towards your...groin. I also do the back arch. Although I'm not sure if it's a flexibility exercise or not. :) There's also the normal "touch your toes" thing that we're forced to do in PE lessons. I hate the typical stuff. :ph34r: How about you, Tezza? What flexibility exercises do you do?

Do any of you people out there spend much time working on their flexibility? As a martial artist I do take a lot of time to train my flexibilty however it is something you have to be very dedicated to in order to acheive maximum results.So who here trains their flexibility and what flexibility exercises do you do?

The stronger a muscle, the more flexible it can become. It is important to engage the muscle targeted for stretching. Martial arts requires both strong and flexible muscles. I am a yoga instructor, so I specialize in teaching flexibility. Most people relax when stretching. This can cause harm to the ligaments, attaching the bones. An overstretched ligament does not return to normal once overstretched. The next time you work on your flexibility, actively engage the targeted muscle. Isometrically tighten the muscle before stretching. You will find, if done correctly, that you have more flexibility while protecting the body. You might try attending a local yoga class to see what effect yoga has on your martial arts practice.
Edited by mommyBwell (see edit history)