xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Best Modelling Software

Cool. Thanks for all the advice people it is greatly appreciated. I have a friend who owns 3d Max and says its great he says he doesnt mind me borrowing it so I may check it out. Does anyon have any good tutorials for beginners?Although for now I am going to fiddle around with the open source software mentioned called Blender. It looks pretty good, however very complex. Please post any good tutorials. Thanks in advance guys.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of 3D Max. The industry stanndard now is Maya. Which I believed is owned by Discreet (same folks as Max)...so it will be interesting to see if Discreet screws with Maya the way they did Max after they bought Kinetix (the company that originally developed version 1 - 3)I like Lightwave far better.Another piece of software to check out is Cinema 4D. It's a rather impressive piece of software, especially given their support for Mac being the first none Apple program to be certified as Universal, and comes at a relatively cheap price tag compared to other solutions. Of course, there is the free, yet powerful, blender3D, which is opensource. If your looking not to invest a lot of money, but have plenty of time, Blender is an excellent choice now since there are a lot community sites with video tutorials like Blenderartists.org...which you'll find me there under the sasme handle.

Oh cool. Well I have finally got hold of 3d's max until the 30 day trial is up, which I would like to use just to learn the basics with, as I may upgrade and purchase it in the future if I do feel the need for it. So has anyone got any tutorials for 3d's Max?Thanks in advance guys.I have tried blender but have found it is pretty slow. I dont know if this is my computer or not but 3d's max seems to run perfectly.

For me, Maya hands down. Used to use 3DS max, but never went back after touching Maya. It's a little less user friendly as 3DS, but great if you practise on it.

Hi guys,
What is the best software to design models like these for a total beginner?

Example Models

Wow... very easy looking at those sample pictures. I've used these softwares before (haven't made any models recently) and all you'll need is POSER 5+ & BRYCE 5+

If you want to make props then I recommend you get 3DS Max 6+ along with it.

It's a very expensive investment but if you put all your hard work in it, it shouldn't be so bad. By the way, these are great softwares for beginners. I was a beginner myself when I started out and I already used these professional 3D Modelling programs. The only prerequisites you'll need are: time to learn, and most of all creativity and imagination of course.

I've tried Maya, Cinema4D and all the other expensive programs but they're very hard to learn putting aside the fact that they are really good software. I just wouldn't recommend them to any beginner artist. So good luck with that!

I've used gmax and 3ds max (gmax is like a free version of 3ds max for game editing etc..) and i'd say from my experience 3ds max would be the way to go. It has tons of features that will come in handy no mater what job you are doing, it's a bit pricey but it will get you there (I think they do have a demo version for you too)-HellFire

I'll recommend u Rhinoceros, a good modeling software for a pure beginner. I have previously joined a class for animation

and they too started with Rhinoceros. It is based on nerve modeling as Maya rather than 3dmax which is based on Polygon Modeling. Now, it depends whether you are interested in modeling human like models or sharp boundary models.

Human like models are designed with nerve modeling based softwares and sharp boundary models are designed using polygon modeling based softwares.