xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
talktime

Using pbpBB2 And Mediawiki Common Database

I want to host phpbb2 forum and one wiki software (not sure whcih one at this point). Can someone help me how to use a common or shared database for both these applications? The user data, login could be common on both databases.Any inputs are appreciated.Thanks

I want to host phpbb2 forum and one wiki software (not sure whcih one at this point). Can someone help me how to use a common or shared database for both these applications?
The user data, login could be common on both databases.
Any inputs are appreciated.
Thanks

Well, this isn't too hard to do actually. :)
First you'll set up your database as usual.
database: accountname_databasename

Then add a user for this database.
username: accountname_username
password: 1234abcd5678efgh

When you install you phpbb, it will ask you for your database information. More than likely, you'll be using the localhost and where it asks for a database table prefix, there should be a default value filled in already.
phpbb_ is usually the default value for phpbb! If you wanted to use the same database for several phpbb installations, then just modify the prefix accordingly:
phpbb1_
phpbb2_
phpbb3_
etc...

Now this is important to remember since you wiki will probably have it's own default prefix. Lets call that prefix wiki_.
If you has a user table in phpbb it would be called phpbb_user whereas the wiki user table would be wiki_user! This is how you can run multiple applications on the same database without the data getting mixed up!

As for you specific neds, we would need to know what kind of server interface you are using. Different systems allow for different methods of setting up and maintaining databases.

Here at Xisto, we have the cPanel system and unlimited databases so we can have a different database for each application!

Hope this helps.

vujsa

Well, this isn't too hard to do actually. :)First you'll set up your database as usual.
database: accountname_databasename

Then add a user for this database.
username: accountname_username
password: 1234abcd5678efgh

When you install you phpbb, it will ask you for your database information. More than likely, you'll be using the localhost and where it asks for a database table prefix, there should be a default value filled in already.
phpbb_ is usually the default value for phpbb! If you wanted to use the same database for several phpbb installations, then just modify the prefix accordingly:
phpbb1_
phpbb2_
phpbb3_
etc...

Now this is important to remember since you wiki will probably have it's own default prefix. Lets call that prefix wiki_.
If you has a user table in phpbb it would be called phpbb_user whereas the wiki user table would be wiki_user! This is how you can run multiple applications on the same database without the data getting mixed up!

As for you specific neds, we would need to know what kind of server interface you are using. Different systems allow for different methods of setting up and maintaining databases.

Here at Xisto, we have the cPanel system and unlimited databases so we can have a different database for each application!

Hope this helps.

vujsa

Thanks for the valuabale information and so promptly.
I am not an expert but I will try the way you told here. Just adding wiki software to the same database with phpbb2. hopefully that will work for me eaisly.
Currently I am uging a host which support single database.
By the way do you have any recommendation for any wiki software? many of them are available free.

Regards
Edited by talktime (see edit history)

Thank you vujsa,I installed both the applications on a single database and it worked fine. For the mediawiki application I used mw_ prefix for the files. I will test both the applications for a while to understand how the databases work.Thanks again for your valuable input.Best regards.