xisto Community
evought

Cannot Send Email After Account Upgrade Outgoing mail broken after upgrade to paid account

I just upgraded mistymanor.astahost.com to a paid account. Since the upgrade, outgoing mail is not working.Specifically, for mistymanor.astahost.com, using mail.mistymanor.astahost.com with eric@mistymanor.astahost.com as the username, 587 for the port number, and the appropriate password, sending mail from Apple Mail on OS X 10.4.8 fails. This account worked prior to the changeover. Incoming mail still works.I have tried using "mistymanor.astahost.com" (dropping the "mail.") as the mail server. I have tried with/without SSL. I have tried sending the message with SquirrelMail from cpanel (no errors, but message never arrives). I have tried using "eric+mistymanor.astahost.com" as the username as well.No other function on the site seems to be affected (Great job, folks; if this is the only problem after changing servers, I'm happy).

I just upgraded mistymanor.astahost.com to a paid account. Since the upgrade, outgoing mail is not working.
Specifically, for mistymanor.astahost.com, using mail.mistymanor.astahost.com with eric@mistymanor.astahost.com as the username, 587 for the port number, and the appropriate password, sending mail from Apple Mail on OS X 10.4.8 fails. This account worked prior to the changeover. Incoming mail still works.

I have tried using "mistymanor.astahost.com" (dropping the "mail.") as the mail server. I have tried with/without SSL. I have tried sending the message with SquirrelMail from cpanel (no errors, but message never arrives). I have tried using "eric+mistymanor.astahost.com" as the username as well.

No other function on the site seems to be affected (Great job, folks; if this is the only problem after changing servers, I'm happy).

Update:

It looks like it works fine on port 25, but port 587 is not open on delta. Can this be fixed? I have had problems with port 25 and my ISP. Thanks.

I regret to inform you that port designated for outgoing mail is always set to 25. It cannot be overwritten due to internal security reasons.

Mail must go through port 25 otherwise it will not be delivered. Please read full thread why you might have been experiencing with outgoing mail by reading this topic http://forums.xisto.com/topic/91444-topic/?findpost=

How are you trying to send your mail, via Outlook or cPanel? Have you configured your Outlook correctly?

I regret to inform you that port designated for outgoing mail is always set to 25. It cannot be overwritten due to internal security reasons.
Mail must go through port 25 otherwise it will not be delivered. Please read full thread why you might have been experiencing with outgoing mail by reading this topic http://forums.xisto.com/topic/91444-topic/?findpost=

How are you trying to send your mail, via Outlook or cPanel? Have you configured your Outlook correctly?

I am using Apple Mail on a Macintosh, but the problem is reproducible by just telnetting to the port. The problem is that many ISPs block port 25 which is supposed to be for internetwork mail. SASL (authenticated mail) is supposed to run on 587 which is not typically blocked. My current dialup provider blocks port 25, but my broadband provider does not (yet). I am concerned that my broadband provider will block the port in the future. I guess I will blow up that bridge when I come to it.