xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tommydanger

Splash Screen for a game

Hi all o/

I'm making a psp game, and at some point I need a splas screen.

(It looks always good when you have a splash screen :) )

So I decided to created a fictive company, this company will represent my work under a different name (instead of my nickname, like i normally do :D )

So I thought about good names, names that are meaningful.

So I came up with "pixel::feel"

This is the first version:

Posted Image

This is my first try at a splash screen.

I know there a far more experienced 2D Artist in here so I would like to know what you think :)

My intent was to represent the "::" in the name as pixels in the splash screen, however they turned at some point into 3D shapes ;)

As for the 2 different fonts, I like them so far.

"pixel" in a pixel font cause pixels are essential for games ;)

"feel" in a friendly lively font representing the feel aspect of a game.

I also think the color scheme works well together !?

But as I said this is my first splash screen and I'm open for criticism.

I like it, it also feels "psp"ish...if that makes any sense. My only comment is that if you want the name to be pixel::feel with the colons, it took me a moment AFTER reading the text version of the name to notice the colons in the image. I like it, and frankly I don't think that's a big deal, but if you feel strongly about that you should check if others notice or don't notice the colons since they kind of just seemed to be a background image type thing at first glance for myself.Still, nice job for you're first attempt. What kind of game are you making?

It looks great. I only don't really like the two "::" in the middle ... I think they don't really fit in.Ofcourse it's an apinion from a non psp user and non designer :)What kind of games do you plan to build?If those games all have the same genre / theme or whatever.You splash screen should have something incommon with the games itselves.I don't know anything of the psp etc. It's just what I think of it :)bakr_2k5

The image looks cool! Well yes it is true that the two colons in between pixel feel don't come out very clearly as colons. But frankly speaking, it is good that way :-)You could try adding a bit more complexity to the background. Although I find it great, but maybe it will look better after that. Its almost a rule that never get satisfied with your first creation. Create two more, probably totally different from this one. Then, even if you have to come back to the original one, you will feel more satisfied...

well, thanks for your comments :)

As for the colons 3D object, it is true that you don't realize it as part of the name rather than a "gimmick".

Well I don't mind if someone sees it that way ;)

Atleast it spices it up a little bit.

But still I will try different angles for the colons

The game itself is still in very pre-production.

One rule I set to myself is to not use any other libraries than pspsdk.

pspsdk is essential to make your code psp friendly.

However the PSP was never designed to run unauthorized code.

But thanks to some very skilled people in reverse engineering we are now able to run our own code on the psp, which only licensed developers should be able to ;)

By pspsdk I mean the inofficial pspsdk.

I won't give you an adress, cause I don't know how the forums handel this stuff.

So if you want to know more about coding the psp you will have to look for the pspsdk yourself, but anyone with a positive IQ will be able to find it ;)

This psp sdk was coded from scratch, however with this library you are able to make an iso loader -> piracy

pspsdk just utilizes the psps functions and sadly the psp has built in functions to load an iso , but you can also use the sdk for games or emulators,....

Well as said, one rule I set to myself was to not use any other libraries than pspsdk.

There is also a working port of SDL available however I won't use it, which would make things much easier and less time consuming, but I want to make the dirty work myself (e.g. image loading,..)

So far I am able to load and display PCX files :)

I'm currently working on OBJ loading.

OBJ is used to describe 3D Objects => models

If that is done I'll begin with the actual design process like making models, unwrap it and hopefully display it correctly :D

So far the game will be an adventure, I don't say which games can be compared with it as my resources are limited and I don't really want to put my bar unnecessarily high.

I could always say :"You will be able to go fishing, take a rest, steal other peoples money,.." but for now my goal is to have a working PCX/OBJ loader and that everything is working fine on the code side.

If that is accomplished I can take these examples into consideration ;)

Not to mention I will keep you informed :P

e:

new version:

Posted Image

Well I like it more, except the colons, like the first version more ?!

Edited by tommydanger (see edit history)

The background and your work's colors are very good, keep them the way it is. I's suggest darkening a bit the blue/grey tone that you're using.To be most sincere, I don't think it's a good idea to mix both soft-rounded and pixelated fonts in the same logo mark. I know it sort of kills your idea, but put both together and you'll see it's not the best thing to do usually.The "production" text could be in plural, and it looks better when kept smaller than the white line, like in your first try.About the ::, I don't know... they look nice as meaningless graphics, but definitely won't make anyone think about them as ::.These are my personal opinions, don't feel insulted in any way. :)

I like the second one more. It is easier to read the "production" text on the button because in the first one the 'i' was hidden by the outline of the bottom of one of the colons.In the second one the colons are a little more spread out which helps reduce clutter and makes the image appear a little more smoothly.In the first picture you had a hard thing white outline of the pixels which looked decent but in the second one I really like how you made the white lines thinner and less bold, making them appear almost transparent but they are still doing their purpose by helping the colons appear 3D.One thing I suggest you do is move the word "feel" farther away from the colons because the f is dangerously close to the colon on the right and since they are the same color it makes the image appear fuzzy due to a slight optical allusion.Another thing is move the line and the word production so the appear fully below the colon. This isn't necessary but it might be something you want to test to see how it looks that way, maybe it will look better maybe not, your call.In all, you gave your picture a very modern look, clean, simple, yet extremely creative.Don't make the background anymore busy, you splash screen has a very clean look to it and when you add too many "cool looking" designs it just makes it messy and harder to see what your simply trying to say.

Thanks for your comment guys, some good advises :PThe more I look at the 2 current fonts the more I see that they break the "harmony".Its very hard to find that particular font combination I have in mind :PFor the pixel font I thought of a blocky font with hard edges and the opposite (soft edges) for the feel font but yet looking identical at first sight :PAs said some other good points, I will keep you updated :P