xisto Community
doudou

Drupal Login Problem

I’ve recently discovered a login problem with Drupal. I registered a domain name with smartdots.com. All it does is redirect to my real address. Although the url does not change. But when I do that, I cannot log in. If I went to my real address directly, I can log in. Does anyone know how to fix this? Edited by doudou (see edit history)

BunnyTu2006, I think the question has been placed in the appropriate section. I do not see where else the question might have been asked. And moreover, I do not see the point of the information you have posted. I dont think that would be helpful to doudou at all. :)

Anyway, doudou, I too had this problem when I registered a domain name http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

It had something to do with the cache of the browser. I could login using the kmaheshbhat.astahost.com URL, but I could not log in when I tried http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. It was quite frustrating.

Then, I tried a couple more times by clearing the cookies stored by the browser, and starting everything afresh. I have not had problems after that. But yeah, I do remember having this problem.

Then, I tried a couple more times by clearing the cookies stored by the browser, and starting everything afresh. I have not had problems after that. But yeah, I do remember having this problem.

Well, even without any domain name I struggled for some days due to cookies. Specially if you're using IE as your browser. Evevn though I was logged in, it was not being reflected on my page. Only when I navigated to certain pages it used to show my status as logged in.

I'm not sure if it's aahowing an error message while loggin for you. If it is not showing an error message, I'm pretty sure its because of cookies. If you have caching enabled in your drupal site, remove it and try.

Yes SP. I think the problem is specifically related to IE. I talked it over at the Drupal.org support forums, and many were of the opinion that IE would create a quirk in its cookies system, and that would run havoc on the authentication systmem. But clearing the cookies, and trying again after opening a new IE window, should work.

I’ve tried clearing the cookies in explore, still can’t log in. But with firefox it does work. It’s good to know that I am not the only one having this problem.

:) Sailing on same boat, huh? Truely this IE has annoyed me in more than one way when I was using Drupal. To clear off this cookie problem I struggled for 1.5 days... Utter waste.

Another thing, just by deleting the cookies using the option provided at Tools->Internet Options->Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Cookies the problem won't get solved. You have to manually go to the directory and delete them, then too, there ain't no gaurantie thet it'll work :) That's IE for you!

Also click on Tools->Internet Options->Temporary Internet Files ->Delete File. And when it prompts for it, check the box "Delete all files". Dumb IE stores entire web page of yours and cache the same thing everytime you request for it!

Hell, when we have a website, we can expect more that 75% of traffic from IEs... We may use Forefox, but not everyone. That's the problem. You have it fix it mate.

Try the above things, your problem should be resolved.

Edited by SP Rao (see edit history)

I am not sure it is an ongoing problem. It came once for me, and it stayed for a day. But then it has resolved, and it has not cropped up again.

I am not sure it is an ongoing problem. It came once for me, and it stayed for a day. But then it has resolved, and it has not cropped up again.

If you enable caching on your Drupal site, it'd repeat. It repeated until I removed caching of my website ay server. But, problem I faced and doudou is facing is quite different. But looks like the root cause was same.

Drupal is a painful headacheDrupal Login Problem

Please post an installation guide illustrating how to install drupal on  an Apache2/MySQL 5/PHP 5 localhost Windows XP development environment. There are thousands of users looking for answers about drupal on the web. I spent the better part of two days trying to install drupal 6.10 on such an environment and could not get it to work properly. I even used a guide from the web. It looked good but, did not work. Obviously, they never tested it. There is no reason that drupal should be so difficult to install and configure. I would love to learn a good CMS but, there is no way I would ever consider using drupal until it can be installed on a localhost. Perhaps, it works fine on Linux. Maybe it's just unstable, who knows.

-reply by Ray Ojinaga

Drupal is a painful headacheDrupal Login Problem

use wampserver 2 for setting up environment

then copy drupal installation in c:/wamp/www/  

run http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

in browser...Find phpmyadmin link on WAMP server page

create database with user having required privileges

rename the default.Settings.Php to settings.Php from dir c:/wamp/www/sites/default

start installation of drupal

http/localhost/install.Php

enter the details for installation