xisto Community
yordan

What Replaces .netrc When Using Windows Xp ? In Unix and in Linux, there is a network configuration file named .net

When I am on a Unix system or on a Linux system, I use a configuration file named ".netrc", which stores my most used ftp settings.Is there an equivalent for ftp under Windows XP ? I tried testing/guessing, I failed, it's not net.rc nor .netrc.It's not horribly necessary, but I would like to know what replaces .netrc on a Windows machine.

OK, it's almost exact. Unfortunately, netrc is for the server side, not for the client-pc side.
The same paper from boulder seems to say that on windows the netrc info is in the registry :

Use the Host Information tab of setnet32 to edit the netrc information.

Of course, everybody knows how to use the setnet32 tab to edit the netrc information!

hehe .. Well I don't know it .. I'm a linux user!
You need help with the setnet32? I can hunt google for you!
Hope i didn't understand your post wrong .. Kinda tired!

bakr_2k5

<edit>
setnet32 is from IBM so i think it's better to use MS created software for these purposes?
Or edit the register, to keep it a bit clean!
</edit>

<edit2>
Ok i found something about a hosts file, don't know if it's the same but it's worth a shot :)
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I think it's the equivalent of the netrc in *nux?
I don't know it all for sure since i'm not really busy with networking etc.
</edit2>

Edited by bakr_2k5 (see edit history)

You need help with the setnet32? I can hunt google for you!

Thanks a lot.To be honest, I wanted a little help from a guy who already did that.
I'm a Linux user (more precisely a Unix user) and I have no problem with Linux.
I was just a little bit angry because the things I am easily doing under Unix, under IBM AIX and under Linux, don't seem possible when I have a Crosoft Windows keyboard.
So i just wanted to know if the same kind of things was possible.
However, I know the address https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl, so I can go there and get theoretical papers, I just wanted to know if a guy here at Xisto already faced this kind of issue and solved it.
Regards
Yordan