xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Astahost Can Have A Wiki? As the first stickied thread of every forum

I was just wondering if this was feasible after what Mark420 or someone mentioned in one of the threads around here. Each of the forum section would have a Wiki, which would have eventually contain a good summing up of all that happens in the forums.Once members participate in a thread, solve a problem, discuss, or come up with something, we could put that info in the Wiki of that section almost summing up and polishing all the information the thread had gained. That way, some one wanting to search the knowledge base would really find it easy to get what they need.What do you guys think?

Well I think its a good idea :) cos I mentioned it before..I don’t have much experience in setting it up but I'm sure all can be learnt pretty fast :)I would also be ok and willing to host it-also I could be in control of one of the Xisto - Web Hosting packages so bandwidth wouldn’t be a problem :D ..I could even just use one from Fantastico like tikiwiki to do it...Ideas of things to include....How about a walkthrough with screenshots of the hosting from when you get the activation email to uploading the files etc A Walkthrough of Cpanel and Fantastico....Then ofc we could have the Stikis in the Wiki!! the sticky threads from the board put up as solutions to FAQs etc etc.We could have wiki editors and subeditors for different content...i.e. the main forum mods controlling the FAQs and Walkthrough pages, but then subeditors to control say other tutorials such as one for Joomla or one including all the Linux help threads so we get an Xisto newbies guide to Linux or something like that....So what do you think guys? I’m up for having a bash at sorting it out...I’m sure Vyoma would help also ;))

Oh sure. I would like to help. I would almost take any sections where I have been participating the design section though. Or may be we can assign a group of people for particular areas - heck - we have so many members. I am sure many would volunteer for organizing the information we have here.

Personally I can't see why not, but at the same time I don't see it as ending up being something amazing...... I don't know maybe you guys are thinking of something much more grand then I am hehe (it wouldn't surprise me). Just seems like it would be a variant of the tutorials section... lots of how-tos and other information with a stronger organizational structure. Which, don't get me wrong, wouldn't be bad in the least I just don't know if it's worth the effort. But if it turns out alot of people like the idea I'd be happy to support it :)

I think it would be a great idea if enough willing volunteers contribute to the effort. I don't think new information necessarily needs to be created, but old information dispersed throughout this forum can be categorized in an easy-to-navigate format on a wiki. IMHO, the forums already include a wealth of information. If you need to know something related to hosting here, creating a website, etc., the technical details are listed _somewhere_. However, the problem is that sifting through the individual forum subtopics or doing searches can be quite cumbersome.I remember when I first came to Xisto. I did not know the hosting policies, etc., so I searched high and low for answers. Unfortunate to say, they are not immediately visible or easy to find. I do not know, but perhaps, a centralized area of information (again, speaking about the wiki) may reduce the number of hosting applicants with 0 posts. Or, maybe not. In any case, I can imagine the wiki to be a useful addition.

I think it would be a great idea if enough willing volunteers contribute to the effort. I don't think new information necessarily needs to be created, but old information dispersed throughout this forum can be categorized in an easy-to-navigate format on a wiki. IMHO, the forums already include a wealth of information. If you need to know something related to hosting here, creating a website, etc., the technical details are listed _somewhere_. However, the problem is that sifting through the individual forum subtopics or doing searches can be quite cumbersome.

Exactly. That is what I had in my mind.

These Wikis that I am suggesting need not contain new information. We can first create the Wiki pages with the information that is already present in the forums. We need to add this information to the Wiki only if it is present in the forums. Then as we discuss more in the forums, we can keep periodically updating the pages for those respective sections.

Yes, for once, the editors/subeditors would have a truck load of work, going through all the threads in a particular section and assimilating it in an organized way. This work might go on for days, but once it is done, it would take relatively less of an effort to update the pages at regular intervals.

I like the idea of summarizing the info on Xisto in a nice to find way/pages. Actually, that can be done in Xisto itself. After all, only members can post so they must come into the Xisto pages. But putting it on wiki could highlight the name of Xisto so more people can know of it.