xisto Community
demolaynyc

Please Review My Demolay Homepage

Well I already did comment it a little in an other thread,so I'll just add some things. First, you could use CSS for the menu rollovers, it's more reliable, has better accessibility for those who need it, and saves a few Kb. Just a suggestion, since it's not really compromising anything there. The flash banner is looking very well, but I don't fell that the blinking on the "[ ]" is as nice, it doesn't fit very well. Last two visual suggestions would be add some left padding (about 2 or 3 pixels) on "Recent News", and possibly making a (slightly) light/dark pattern alternating on each news, for better organization. Other than this is pretty good. Now, for the code, I'd suggest keeping the CSS styles (and the Javascript, in case you keep the image rollovers) in separate .css and .js files. This way, they're always cached into the browser, loading pages faster and wasting less bandwidth. It also helps on maintenance, since you have to update just a single file. And about the "spacer.gif" images, you could use css as well instead, but this is a minor issue. I guess that's all for now! Hope it helps. =)

thank you for the detailed suggestions. I will surely get to those touch ups. I showed the flash header to my uncle who also does a little site designing and he did suggest on removing the brackets. So thx for the second opinion, much appreciated.

thank you for the detailed suggestions. I will surely get to those touch ups. I showed the flash header to my uncle who also does a little site designing and he did suggest on removing the brackets. So thx for the second opinion, much appreciated.

No problem man. Keep us updated, right?
By the way, what's this site about? Is text real or just a placeholders?
See you around.

I really like your site's design. It's simple but nice. It also doesn't discomfort my eyes, so i can look at the page for a long time. I'm not a designer, but i think everything is ok. You only need to finish with all pages, text and maybe add some scripts to keep people coming to your site.P.S. Don't forget to change page's title. Flashsite says nothing to me. I should say something about your site. If people look at the title, they should understand what is your site about.

Edited by arukomp (see edit history)

No problem man. Keep us updated, right?By the way, what's this site about? Is text real or just a placeholders?
See you around.

Well this site is about a fraternal organization--simply put a youth group sponsored by a masonic lodge. If you want to find out more about it you can check out my Almost finished page which is the About us section: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Actually the text is real, those are the news that were posted on my group's old website. All those activities are real.

My uncle said that after I finish a webpage I should upload it instead of keeping it in my local hard drive and upload all of it when I finish all the pages, which was my idea. Which way should I go for.

The header looks very nice when it loads. (Personally I like a bit of movement as long as it is not overdone.)I agree with most of the other comments made. Nice job overall.One thought (for what it's worth) ... have you tried making your white borders (with the rounded corners) a little thinner? It might make the page a bit slicker.Gin

I did try it but i didn't find it appealing to me. btw, I'm trying to learn AJAX but with this site in the making (my first actual professional site) is prohibiting me from studying it. so for the meantime, I will use action script because it's the only programming language i know so far besides php and js, to parse my xml and send its variables to a php page via POST method.The thing about this is that it's going to be a page farther away than php would because i would first send the visitors to the page where the flash movie that contains the parser before ssending them to the homepage which wouldn't look obvious however. Now, I know there's an alternative to this by using PHP directly but It's too time consuming to have to learn it first when I already know how to parse xml in flash and send it to php. My question to u guys is would that be the best approach to this? An example of what i mean is can be found in CingularWireless webpage. To those who have the service, when the person logs in, the site takes you to a page where there's a bouncing cingular logo animation which really is the parser and then it leads you to the php page where the variables have been sent. So instead of a one page process, it's one page extra.