xisto Community
Trevor1405241530

Firefox So Great?

I don't think Firefox is that great. It seems to me all the geeks of the world have switched to Firefox just to be different (though if that's your reasoning, I'd say you've failed). There's no doubt it's a significant improvement over Internet 6 and lower versions, but I think there's a number of better alternatives.

Opera

Opera has every single feature that Firefox boasts i.e. tabbed browsing, popup blocker, perceived security, etc. Although I can't personally verify that Opera is faster, more efficient, and less of a memory hog, I've read that that's the case.

Netscape

I've used the new Netscape briefly, and it seems to me to be just as good as Firefox and much more feature rich. It has obviously lost lots of popularity since the 90s, but the newest version seems pretty good to me.

IE 7

Microsoft has remedied every complaint I had with Internet Explorer 6. Internet Explorer is quick, has tabs, and renders web pages really well. I think that's what I will be using in near future.

Do some research on Firefox myths and I think a lot will agree with me.

You've made your point, but here what the 'geeks who have switchted over' would agree upon-

Opera

Yes, it does. But the Firefox interface is much better and easier. And a better reasoning is that Opera was meant for MacOS Users. It was just ported to Windows due to its popularity (Windows'). Hence, it works more efficiently with a Mac and not Windows.

Netscape

It was you who said-

It has obviously lost lots of popularity since the 90s

So if you'd do a brief research on WHY that happened, you'd find out how Netscape (however new it might be) fails to be a good browser in almost all aspects. Besides, its highly incompaitible with many sites today.

Internet Explorer 7

Now that's some thing you shouldn't have mentioned. There are positively hundreds of posts on Xisto talking on this controversy! But in a snap, I'd like to tell you that Internet Explorer has copied features from Firefox just to keep up in the race! Seriously, its such a cheap play, anybody can copy other's ideas and features and port them to their software! Its the one who does it first that matters!

Hence, I'd like to conclude that firefox is still great around, and even more with its innumerable extensions and add-ons! Three cheers, you need to do some research yourself!

(Kindly excuse me if I have been rude in any manner or my views have been misconcluded.)

How many more times do we need to see this thread about the browser wars?Ten - eleven?Do a search and find all the threads that have gone before...Oh and it might be good if your facts were correct..Opera was NOT built for MAC's..The first version was ten years ago on a WINDOWS pc...I know cos I was one of the first 10K people to download it now I have it free for life...Just for the record I dont like Firefox either...im an Avid Opera user for years now

Edited by Mark420 (see edit history)