xisto Community
krap

Old Computer COMPAQ DESKPRO XL 5133...

Well i got one for free and as i dont have a pc at home (i use the one at the library to access this site - it's free :) ) i need it to work but it has a problem:

When i start it up it says :

32768KB ok in top left hand corner and DESKPRO XL 5133/66 ROM DATE 03/09/96 in bottom right hand corner. Then it says Invalid system disk Replace the disk, and then press any key _

I cant contact the previous owner for a few days and all that i can see about the hardware is:

- There seems to be nothing in the floppy disk drive (the door is closed but i dont have any floppys so i cant try and put one in to see if theres something inside)

- There is nothing in D:/

- Underneath the CD drive there is an empty space hole thing which the cover has come off from (i have that) when i look inside there it looks like the previous owner took something out (maybe the hard drive?)

If anyone has/had this computer could they suggest what is wrong/missing? It's not urgent but I'm doing some GCSEs soon in ICT and I need a computer for coursework ao it would be nice to use this instead of spending ?300..

Thanks in advance

I know what's your problem.. I think that Windows is not installed on your computer. You should install windows on your computer and the problem is solved. Probably the previous owner formatted the computer before you get it.

Open up the pc ant take a look, and the harddrive is never in a Drive bay, is usualy under the floppy drive.And if it has no harddrive, I suggest getting one :)Have fun,Craig.

Oh no i am not going to open it up.. I'd break it/electrcute myself(it's possible because of static.. :) )

Hey, you arent going to eletrocute yourself if you open your PC. All you have to do to make sure that you dont get yourself electrocuted is to disconect the MAINS cable from the PC and all the current (AC) and Voltage will disapear from the PC's PowerPack. You can then open it up and work on it the way you want to. I built my PC and if i had to fear the PC the way you are doing, then I wont hve gotten to any where with it.Take your time and work on that PC. Check to make sure that there is a Hard Drive in there. If there is none, get one and if there is one, I suggest that you try and reformat it and then install windows in there.Hope that helps you.

The power here in the UK is DC i think?Anyway, I built my pc too (althought I did not put enough thermal paste/greese on the heatsink, need to get some more, lost it)I have never been electicuted, here we go, ill blow myself up later...

If you dont want to open your pc, get into the bios (most of the times, during bootup, the message on the screen appears, saying, press Del to enter bios).there it should say what is connected to your pc. (eg cdroms, hd's)but it sounds like the real problem is, no Operating system installed.

Oh no i am not going to open it up.. I'd break it/electrcute myself(it's possible because of static.. :) )

63729[/snapback]

As another poster stated, you won't electrocute yourself as long as the PC is not plugged in when you open it up. I don't think it was suggested you start tugging on any cables, just open it up and make sure there is a hard drive in place.

Possible causes of this message

1) Floppy disk is in the floppy drive, remove and try again. (but you say the door on the floppy is closed so there isn't a floppy there)

2) no operating system, Install Windows or some other floppy drive.

3) Bad or no hard drive, replace the Hard drive

4) Hard Drive not connected properly, Open the computer up and check the connections.

I could give you detailed instructions on checking the hard drive connections, but somehow I think you won't try it, if I am wrong let me know and I, or someone else, will be glad to post the instructions.

The power here in the UK is DC i think?

No it aint, DC only comes from batteries or when you rectify AC with some diodes.
UK is 240VAC, which is 240V in AC, the americas are 120VAC.

If the computer has a Hard Disk, then the problem may be located in the BIOS settings. You can enter the BIOS by pressing DELETE when turning on/restarting the computer. Once you are in it, try searching for an option "Primary boot device" there and make sure that it has the name of your HDD (example: "Maxtor 80GB"), or something like "HDD-0" next to it. Save the changes and exit the BIOS. The computer will automatically restart. If that fails, then an operating system is not installed.

In order to install windows on an empty hard disk, you need to repeat the steps above, but instead of setting "HDD-0" (or whatever) to be your primary boot device, set it to "CD-ROM", and your "Secondary boot device" to "HDD-0". After you have made these changes, make sure that you save them before exiting the BIOS. Your computer will automatically restart, but and make sure that the WinXP CD is inside your CD-ROM drive before it does. After that, you know the drill...

If you are planning to open your PC, it's not a big deal! Just make sure that the power supply cord is disconnected, and you can open up the case. The case can be opened in many different ways, it depends on how the manufacturer made it. The easiest way is by pressing a button which will snap the side of the case open. The second, more common way, is to remove the screws on the back side of the case in order to remove the side, some screws are enlarged and can be easily twisted off by hand, while others have to be removed with a screwdriver.

Once you have opened up your case, you can "explore" what is in it. Avoid touching the circuits if you are not well grounded (touch a cold water pipe to do it, for example), otherwise you may damage them (in most cases, you don't feel a thing on your hands when you damage a component). The hard disk should be located at the front of the case, beneath the CD drive, and you should notice it easily. If you don't recognize it, there should be a label with the name of the manufacturer (Maxtor, Western Digital, Samsung...), and a bunch of information about the number of heads, cylinders and sectors on it.

I have never been electicuted, here we go, ill blow myself up later...

It's a very weird feeling :) . Especially when having contact with the power of 220V~ @50Hz!

Oh, I have been electicuted once, I was fixing christmas tree lights while they where still on, it is a wierd feeling, and ive put a 9V battery on my toung B)I have never been electricuted by my pc, and now im not going near the inside of my pc unlit I forget Ive typed this... :)Anyhoo, back to there batter at hand...Have you checked yet?