xisto Community

Chromatography involves a sample (or sample extract) being dissolved in a mobile phase (which may be a gas, a liquid or a supercritical fluid). The mobile phase is then forced through an immobile, immiscible stationary phase. The phases are chosen such that components of the sample have differing solubilities in each phase. A component which is quite soluble in the stationary phase will take longer to travel through it than a component which is not very soluble in the stationary phase but very soluble in the mobile phase. As a result of these differences in mobilities, sample components will become separated from each other as they travel through the stationary phase.

Techniques such as H.P.L.C. (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) and G.C. (Gas Chromatography) use columns - narrow tubes packed with stationary phase, through which the mobile phase is forced. The sample is transported through the column by continuous addition of mobile phase. This process is called elution. The average rate at which an analyte moves through the column is determined by the time it spends in the mobile phase.

There's also paper Chromatography and it's pretty easy and useful, kind of old school, i mean not that accurate of a results and all but good enough...here's a link for how to do it :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

you can also check it out on wikipedia dude..here's the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatography

In other words, chromatography is a method of analyzing the components of something.So, it's useful everythime you need to know what is something (is it white sugar - so you can eat it - or is this white paint for drawing something on a black board ?). It can be useful also it you need to know if something occured (did I my supposed drinkable water experience pollution from organic components ?).Mainly, I would use chromatography in order to answer the obvious question : "What is this" ?

what is chromatography?what is the use ot this?
what is affinity chromatography?
purification can be done with help of it or not?
what are the materials required for chromatography?

If I had to give short answers for each, I'd say:

It's a means of separating mixtures and a way to roughly identify the components of a mixture. It does this by passing the mixture along a column - each component will move at a particular rate (depending on one or more of a number of properties, like polarity and size).

As above - separation (purification) and identification.

Affinity chromatography uses the fact that some component of your mixture will bind to a particular part of your column, whilst others won't. For example, the chromatography column may have an antibody anchored onto it, and a certain antigen will be retained on the column whilst the rest of your mixture isn't, because nothing else will bind to it. There's heaps of other partnerships too: enzyme/substrate, metal ion/ligand...

Yes - and as a rule of thumb purification is easiest if the components of your mixture are significantly different from one another.

Most basic: you need a column with a stationary phase which is the material which separates your mixture, and a mobile phase - the solvent (liquid) which moves your mixture along (also involved in separation). This kind of basic idea is used in paper chromatography (a link was posted in an above post). More difficult and more specific kinds of chromatography can be a bit more complicated, or a LOT more complicated.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.