xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

How To Plan A Graphic

I've heard this talked about in different places online....How do you go about planning your graphics? Do you just freestyle and see where it goes or do you have a picture in your head how you want it to be? Also, how long does it take you, start to finish, to complete a graphic that you make?I usually have an idea of what it should look like. For example, if I'm making a layout, first I just think what I want and how I want it to look like. I patiently chose the pictures, locate them in their right places it also takes a lot of time to find the right brushes(if needed), textures and etc. Sometimes it takes me days, if I get inspired by someone's work, then things go faster. I can't just freestyle cause usually I never get anything decent.

What I usually do is take out my sketchbook and make a rough thumbnail sketch first, then I start building up from there. When all that is done, I scan in my work, and kind of edit them from there with Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator. When it comes to layouts though (which I'm not that good at), I usually just kind of wing it and play around with the coding until I wind up getting something that I like, though more often than not, I usually have a very rough outline in my head beforehand. You know, just like if I'm going to have tables or what not in it along with what I'm piddling around with. :unsure:

I just get on the computer and go with the flow. They only thing that ik plan before hand is how big the graphic is going to be. Its much funner that way to me cause you never know wats its gonna end up like. I just add stuff as it comes no restrictions just freestlyle. But you cant really trust me i guess cause i dont have any cool avatars or sigs uploaded onto Xisto yet. Ill just have to post some graphics in the gallery i guess.

Yeah there is some planning involved, in your head, but its nothing like your sitting there with a sketch pad before you begin. Naturally you get visuals of what youd like to make in your mind, and from there ofcourse you want to try and create what your mind sees. and alot of the design also has to do with once you begin the process. see how things take you...

Well, I design a lot and before starting a new website I usually think which is which. Example, the theme and color combination must blend (and color combination is the first thing I always have in mind).

Well, I design a lot and before starting a new website I usually think which is which. Example, the theme and color combination must blend (and color combination is the first thing I always have in mind).

Well i guess when making template designs for websites such type designs I would have to say yes plan ahead on what youd like,, ReBoot is right, you want to get your colors and also you want to get your set up... and I have done that before

To me it's usually a very random process when I'm doing work for pleasure or basically to myself. I just have a theme in mind, then I try to think for a couple minutes when doing something else (like paying a visit to the fridge, for example) about it, and then go back to the computer and see what comes up.

When I'm doing a job for someone, and am not given full creative freedom, it's different. I usually prefer to draw very rough sketches and see which one pleases me most while still is under guidelines give to me. Getting as much info as possible from your client is also pretty important. In the end I come up with 2 to 4 final solutions, being one of them a bit more free from the guidelines, mostly done in my way. Other ones are usually done closer to client's suggestions/instructions.

Anyway, after all, often the client ends up by choosing 'my' design as his, because probably I can create better stuff with weaker bounds, and because it's something he didn't thought about yet, basically a new vision of the theme.

and i think thats just the best way to make a design.. just let it flow from the top of your head to get a start. once youve started things just seem to appear and you add the mon and make changes as you go

and i think thats just the best way to make a design.. just let it flow from the top of your head to get a start. once youve started things just seem to appear and you add the mon and make changes as you go

Yes. The only problem is sometimes when nothing seems to work/look good for you. This happened to me yesterday when drawing... Lack of inspiration sucks. I erased like 30 sketches before coming up with something I found nice.

My art always starts with pen and paper. I feel that real art has to come from the hand, and not 100% computer. It's just heartless that way IMO.So, I'll lay down a cool little thing on paper with a rollerball pen, and then hi-res scan it. Next, it goes into Photoshop where I doctor it a little (not a lot, mostly colors and position yadda yadda) and voila, you have my simple style of art.I've always got some magazines by me for inspiration, and usually some music playing as well. Gotta get in the mood, you know?It's just different depending on my situation (who it's for, when I need it done, etc.)