xisto Community
doudou

New To Drupal Drupal Themes

Yesterday I had my account setup and the first thing I did was to install Drupal Content Management System from my cPanel. But I am at a loss as to what to do next! I looked at the themes Drupal offered on their website and didn’t really like any of them. I found some other PHP themes on the web, but I don’t know if they will work for Drupal. Are there specific requirement for Drupal themes? Their manual and documents are so confusing; I wonder if someone on the forum can answer my questions?

Yes, of course there are specific requirements for a Drupal theme, but they're generally quite unrestrictive. You can also choose whether you want to use Smarty as a templating engine, or some two other options. I don't have much experience with theming in Drupal, but I'm sure that if you post a layout in HTML that you like I can help you in converting it to Drupal. You don't need to care about PHP or whatnot, just care for the template itself.

Thanks! I might just take you up on it. But I really want to learn more before doing anything. There doesn't seem to be a lot of good tutorials for beginners out there. Although it is frustrating, I am not ready to give up yet! Edited by doudou (see edit history)

Thanks! I might just take you up on it. But I really want to learn more before doing anything. There doesn't seem to be a lot of good tutorials for beginners out there. Although it is frustrating, I am not ready to give up yet!

Try this - for really beginners or lay folks. It's got some simple easy understand concepts.

Teach Yourself Practical Drupal

I have played a little with Drupal...but to be honest I found it very fustrating and awkward to get going with it!!So like many people on this forum..I uninstalled it and installed Joomla instead...theres SOO much more documentation out there to get you started..loads more mods components etc for Joomla than Drupal and soo much easier to use than Drupal..Give it a go you got nothing to loose :P)

On the contrary Mark, I did try Joomla, and I did not like it first.Yes, Drupal is quite frustrating at the begining. It has a kind of approach that makes you feel similar to when you shifted from procedural programmin to object oriented programming. In Drupal everything is node, and every feature is a module.So, if you need a component, you need to pick on the several modules, and get what you want. It is immensly flexible, and that is why I now cannot just let go of Drupal.