xisto Community
lonebyrd

Can Someone Give Me Some Advice About CMS ?

I've got a basic understanding of what CMS is. To be able to easily add, and edit things over the whole website. But I have a few questions about it. First, does it alter things on all pages, or can it also be used for single pages? And I know it has a wide variety of uses but, I am working on a text based game right now. It will have drop-down menu's, a forum, registration/login page, images, text boxes. I'm in the basic stages right now. Would a CMS be something that would work for something like that? I know I don't have the space on my site right now to get most of the CMS's offered by asta right now, but from the sounds of it, I would really like to get into this kinda thing. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

A Content Management System does just that, it manages content, like news or a forum, or even games if you have them also. This is the purpose of content management to make it easier for the administration of users various forms of content. You can try out many CMS systems and play around with them to see which ones you are interested in.Even with just a 15meg site you can set up a modified bare bones CMS. Some come with modules and features that you will not use. When you have 150 meg then that is not as important. Try doing a search for CMS tryout and you should find a site with most of the open source ones that will give you a link with a username and password to allow you to test run a working CMS>

From what you have said about your game, I am not sure CMS would be of much use to you. But to answer the questions that you posed: A CMS can do site wide or selective changes by just doing it at one place - in the administration panel. It also lets one to go down to one particular page and go and edit it.I am not sure how much space you have but CMS do not take that much space. Yes, of course, PHP-Nuke takes about 20+MB of space but most of it is the multi-languange pack. Other CMS, like Drupal, take as less as 3 to 5 MB depending on the modules you install. Maybe, as Houdini said, you should try out some of the CMS and play around with it to get a feel of does it suit your requirements or not. One of the sites that lets you do this is OpenSourceCMS.com as was mentioned by someone else, elsewhere on this section. But to help you more lonebyrd, I think may be it would help us if you ask some things specific and show us what you already have and what changes do you want to make.

I've got a basic understanding of what CMS is. To be able to easily add, and edit things over the whole website. But I have a few questions about it. First, does it alter things on all pages, or can it also be used for single pages? And I know it has a wide variety of uses but, I am working on a text based game right now. It will have drop-down menu's, a forum, registration/login page, images, text boxes. I'm in the basic stages right now. Would a CMS be something that would work for something like that? I know I don't have the space on my site right now to get most of the CMS's offered by asta right now, but from the sounds of it, I would really like to get into this kinda thing. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

CMS can manage a part of your website instead of the whole. However I am not sure about single pages. Why would you want a CMS for single pages anyways? You can definitely incorporate registration/login page, images and text boxes into CMS.

I think you should build your game around a CMS, like Drupal. I recommend Drupal, apart because I am a huge fan of it, but because it is really built modularly and is very easy to extend, in comparison with other CMSs like phpNuke which can be a health hazard when trying to mess with.

Anyways, about using CMSs for single pages, that's not really possible, but the thing is that you can create static pages in most CMS systems, and it's better than creating the page yourself because then the page becomes akin the rest of your site (including the same thing, and the same links/structure).