xisto Community
Binod Singh

Problem With Floppy Windows XP and Windows 98

It has become common problem in my office. Some floppies do not open in Windows XP and it shows error, Cyclic Redundancy check error, what does it mean ? If I use the same floppy on another computer having windows '98 it opens all the files and sometimes some of the files.The same floppy when formated with windows XP starts working, which were showing the error earlier.

your files were corrupted when you copied them from the computer hard drive or netowrk drive to the flopy disk..there no way to fix it apart from recoping :)

well... this is something interesting, someone is still using floppy... :) I was sure that floppy is dead thign while ago..Anyway you may have a faulty diskette, and maybe the whole floppy disc reader is faulty... try to format that diskette, and run a scandisk on it, to se if it's faulty, if it's ok, then you probably got faulty floppy disc reader on that xp-computer, buy a new one - it's cheap - about 8-10$, maybe less...

Format floppy, save in RTF, I don't know the depth of the problem...how bout just saving your documents on email as an attachment so they can be opened or sent on or to any computer (RTF format) no probs involved. Lol if that solution seems childish then buy cd burners for all of your computers and use CD-RW's. Floppy's cannot be reliable anymore.

This has always been a problem when taking a disk formatted in an earlier windows to a newer windows. Sometimes the newer windows just won't read the formatting correctly. As far as I can tell, the only solution is to backup the disk's files and then format on WinXP, then restore the files.

well... this is something interesting, someone is still using floppy... -_- I was sure that floppy is dead thign while ago..

63372[/snapback]

haha, well i use floppy because its easy and most computers "usually" read them its better than having to search for a usb port for a those flash disks. but floppy disks are very unreliable and they can be damaged easily.

I hardly use floppy disks nowadays since the USB flash memory drives are becoming more common (not to mention getting smaller AND holding more space). If all else fails, reformat the floppy. Otherwise, I wonder if copying the files from floppy to the HD while in DOS mode is an another option (before reformatting).

My opinion is that the machine with XP needs a new floppy. it's ceap to replace, but USB drives are so cheap, with the amount of disks you'll be using, they break so fast, it'd be cheaper to get even some old small flash disk.

Hi Binod Singh,The problem might be that the two OS versions format using different file formats. Win 98 uses "FAT32" file formatting & Win XP can be set up to format as "FAT32" OR "NTFS" file formatting. If Win XP is set up to use NTFS ... this can be the cause of your problem. You can use DOS utilities to see which file format your Win XP is set up to use. Win XP is "supposed to" be able to read all file types using the Win32 file format... but personal experience has shown that this is not always the case.If this doesn't solve your problem..then.. you will have to check out the possibility of bad hardware (ie. floppy drive). Floppy drives are easy to troubleshoot. If you need help.. you can go to my website for a step by step tutorial.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Floppys are very easy to corrup like this. Floppys now are dead and cd/dvd are in. When Floppys were in you could get windows on them but it took a lot of disks. I have got windows 3.1 on about sixteen disks and thats proberly corrupt. On a floppy you can only host about 1.3mb but on a cd you can hold 750mb and on a DVD you can hold up to 80000mb (8 gig). Theres a bit of difference insnt there. So why dont you get a cd burner and just put it on cd and then you can put more on not like floppy where its hard to get a picture on. Cant you just invest in 5 cd writers. There only about ?20.