xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zac1405241526

Zeta Boards!

The following was taken from the Invisionfree.com Support Boards.

http://www.zifboards.com/

InvisionFree is proud to officially announce ZetaBoards™ (what has previously been referred to as InvisionFree 2).

Posted Image

The ZetaBoards software will be a full upgrade for InvisionFree. It already has gone through thousands of hours of design and development. While it is designed to be familiar to current InvisionFree users, it will have hundreds of new features. Nearly every aspect of InvisionFree will be improved: from the PM system, to the admin logs, to security, to attachments. Administrators will find their tasks much easier and faster to perform. New members will have an easier time learning how to use your board. Experienced members will also find many useful new features in our software.

ZetaBoards is intended to offer the benefits found normally with self-hosted forums in the ease of a remotely hosted free environment. ZetaBoards software has been designed from the ground up to allow multiple forums to run easily on the same server. Your remotely hosted board will be able to have a wide variety of modifications easily installed to personalize it.

As we approach the release of the ZetaBoards software we will be providing screenshots and details on some of the new features. We will be upgrading the support board and providing a test board for members to get acquainted with before upgrading all boards. You will be able to opt out of the upgrade if you are not comfortable with an immediate change.

Since the name InvisionFree would not fit the new software, we will be changing our name to ZetaBoards. Both URLs will still work, so the transition will be easy. We will guide you through the URL change process and the upgrade to the new ZetaBoards forum software.

We will still be a free service. You will not lose your board in the upgrade. The upgrade will be done to all InvisionFree boards for free, without any required work on your part. We look forward to many more years of hosting with you!

I think that this project is a great idea for Invisionfree or Zetaboards™ to get in to the dicussion board market.

Ever since Invision Power Board said they couldn't use IPB 2.0 without a liscense for everyboard, I thinl everyone knew this would happen.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Zac (see edit history)

This is really great for those using InvisionFree. I have played around with InvisionFree in the past and found it to be ok since it was very limited. I have always loved the InvisionBoard Forum due to the simplicity in design and the controls.

Ever since Invision Power Board said they couldn't use IPB 2.0 without a liscense for everyboard, I thinl

I hate companies like these... free to $$$$$$$. It is good software, yes, but when you charge $150 for a board license, I think your developers are a little too greedy. There are plenty of other ways to get money. Like if they'd just go ahead and release it under the GNU/GPL, IPB board usage would sky rocket!
Anyway, IF has been the leader in IPB hosting. Although I've never been a user of them, I like the new name! ZB will become quite popular with that name! :(

[N]F

I have been their user for quite some time, and I am aware of their development of ZetaBoards or InvisionFreeBoards V2 as they were calling it earlier. I have been running a roleplaying forum there and one thing I could note was the ease with which one could configure the site from the administration panel.The development of the new board software has been going on for quite some time, and it is showing strains on the users' patience as they wait for it. But the delay of the release is understandable as the development is almost single handedly done by a person, who goes by the name "Ben", I think.

I have been their user for quite some time, and I am aware of their development of ZetaBoards or InvisionFreeBoards V2 as they were calling it earlier.
I have been running a roleplaying forum there and one thing I could note was the ease with which one could configure the site from the administration panel.

The development of the new board software has been going on for quite some time, and it is showing strains on the users' patience as they wait for it. But the delay of the release is understandable as the development is almost single handedly done by a person, who goes by the name "Ben", I think.

No, the main developer is Brandon, but the other administrators (with the possible exception of Brian, Brandon's brother) do play a role too. Some of the support staff are involved also as some of them have coding/graphics/skinning skills which are obviously vital for a service with millions of hosted boards spanning 15 servers.

Zetaboards was annouced a ridiculously long time ago and hints dropped by staff members that the system will be released to the public anytime soon have been taken back between the date of that post and now . . . The general concensus is that it will most definitely be released by the end of this year but I personally can't see it happening - we've waited this long, why should it come out now? I mean, I'd like it to be released, because InvisionFree is based off ancient software, hasn't been updated for ages, and as someone said earlier, is very limited in its options. Judging by the public beta and the features promised by the staff, ZB is going to change all that, and will bring a fresh new meaning to freely hosted message boards and will (hopefully) force competitors to become more, well, competitive.
Edited by pyost (see edit history)

Zetaboards was annouced a ridiculously long time ago and hints dropped by staff members that the system will be released to the public anytime soon have been taken back between the date of that post and now . . . The general concensus is that it will most definitely be released by the end of this year but I personally can't see it happening - we've waited this long, why should it come out now?

Zetaboards has been out for a month or so. Just in time for the end of the year. :rolleyes:
I took a gander at the software back when it was in open beta, and while stylistically things have improved, usability-wise I think it's taken a bit of a dip. Things just seem to take a bit longer to finish. There's more layers of fluff, to be honest. In IF things were a bit simpler, and more to the point.

The Admin CP in ZB looks amazing though. It's more fluid than its predecessor.