xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Domain Name Parking How to point it to specific folder under public_html?

Fellow AstaHoster!

I got my own domain name: wisetome.com
This is my first considerably large endevour on the web. I have been doing a bit on forums and blogs, but I have kept it low on pulicity. People have just stumbled across them and that is it.

But now, I am thinking of doing it a bit larger. I have been already discussing about this here in Xisto forums with you all. (http://forums.xisto.com/topic/90376-topic/?findpost=1064349267).

Anyway, I registered this domain name, wisetome.com. I went to the company website where it is registered, logged into their control panel, and then put up the name servers as ns1.astahost.com and ns2.astahost.com.

I belive I should be waiting for atleast 24 hours before the name propagates and gets updated on the Domain Name Servers.
After that, I should proceed to park that domain in the Xisto cPanel, right?

And I have another query: I have been trying to setup the website at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Now, how do I park it such that, when I type wisetome.com in the browser, it goes directly to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/?

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

I believe that this could be done by using Add-on domain instead of Parked domain. Add-on domain is used to "cover" a certain subdomain on a host. So, you should create a subdomain and call it whatever you want. You would get something like this: wisetome.kmaheshbhat.astahost.com. After that, you should be able to point you domain name to that subdomain as an add-on one.

I believe that this could be done by using Add-on domain instead of Parked domain. Add-on domain is used to "cover" a certain subdomain on a host. So, you should create a subdomain and call it whatever you want. You would get something like this: wisetome.kmaheshbhat.astahost.com. After that, you should be able to point you domain name to that subdomain as an add-on one.

So I will be only able to point it to wisetome.kmaheshbhat.astahost.com and not kmaheshbhat.astahost.com/wisetome?

Well, then I think, I should move the installed CMS system to that subdomain, right?

Alternatively, I have to move all files from public_html/wisetome directory to wisetome directory?

When making a subdomain, you are actually creating a folder in public_html. So, if you already have a folder called wisetome, a subdomain called like that will point to the one you are currently using. That would be the easiest solution.

:( That I did not know.

Anyway though, I had already moved all content of wisetome to public_html.

Now I have another problem. I had moved the contents and then parked the domain name wisetome.com. It was working yesterday. That is when I typed http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it would go to the proper location. That is, it would show, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

But now, I am trying the wisetome.com URL and it is showing a HTTP 500 error! The webiste is still up, because when I give the Xisto URL, it shows the proper website - one where I had used Drupal.

I already checked up my registrar, it is properly showing ns1.astahost.com and ns2.astahost.com as the name servers, and also the domain name is active.

Could someone tell me what I should be doing? Because I have started to panic. It was working yesterday (about 7 or 8 hours back) and now it is not.

It was probably a temporary error, since it's working now, 2 hours later. Good luck with the web site :(

Yes. I am sorry for the alarm. I tried from other network and it was working. I think the names have not propagated to all the networks yet.

Thanks pyost.

Yes. I am sorry for the alarm. I tried from other network and it was working. I think the names have not propagated to all the networks yet.

Thanks pyost.

Yes, that would probably be what is going on. DNS servers update at different times all over the world. They seem to suggest waiting at most 72 hours (about 3 days) for full DNS propagation to take place. Sometimes you might hit it lucky and your ISP would have updated DNS servers but someone else may have to wait another hour or another day.

Also, for the record, here's the main difference between parked domains and add-on domains:

1. Parked Domains: If you're domain is "user.astahost.com" and you buy "user.com" and add it to your account as a parked domain, you would then be able to access "user.astahost.com" via "user.com" instead. You could also purchase "user.net" and add it as a parked domain and access "user.astahost.com" via "user.net" AND "user.com"

2. Add-on Domains: If your domain is "user.com" and you wanted to add another website to your hosting account, you could add-on a domain. When you add-on a domain, a subdomain path is created. So, like if you wanted to add the website domain "user1.org" to your hosting account of "user.com", just add-on the domain. CPanel will allow you to link the subdomain "user1.user.com" with "user1.org". Anything you place in the public_html/user1 directory will be viewable under "user1.org"

I hope this helps clear up other issues with other users as well :(

[N]F

1. Parked Domains: If you're domain is "user.astahost.com" and you buy "user.com" and add it to your account as a parked domain, you would then be able to access "user.astahost.com" via "user.com" instead. You could also purchase "user.net" and add it as a parked domain and access "user.astahost.com" via "user.net" AND "user.com"
2. Add-on Domains: If your domain is "user.com" and you wanted to add another website to your hosting account, you could add-on a domain. When you add-on a domain, a subdomain path is created. So, like if you wanted to add the website domain "user1.org" to your hosting account of "user.com", just add-on the domain. CPanel will allow you to link the subdomain "user1.user.com" with "user1.org". Anything you place in the public_html/user1 directory will be viewable under "user1.org"

[N]F

Thanks nightfox. I am now clear on how to park domain and add-on domains. It was only the fact that creating a subdomain created a folder in public_html, that I did not know. Got that cleared from this thread.

Anyway, even from the network
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
was not working, it is working today. So, it seems to have propagated to all the networks - or atleast most of it. Now, I think I can start putting it in the signature of my emails. :( And that also means I have a lot of work to do - I need to create quality articles on few topics that I am good at.

OK. Thanks to every one.
Moderators may close this thread.