xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PublicThinker

Ask.Com Is Better Than Google In My Opinion

Not all will understand what you are talking about, since you mentioned this search engine only in the title. So, we're talking about http://de.ask.com/?o=312&l=dir

To start with, the search engine does look nice, unlike Yahoo, which is too clutered. On that side, it is equal with Google. However, it's search result aren't as good as Google's are. When I searched for "Coldplay Serbia", I expected my web site to be on the first page. Google does show it on the first page, but Ask doesn't. I got a few other sites linking to mine, as well as a site that doesn't exist anymore, and was on my site's subdomain. I think that's a major flaw. If a web site is gone for more than two months, why would it still be in the results?

I still think that google is a better search engine. It has more options than ask and far better results. You get more and better results with google than ask.com. Though there always is that hybrid of google and yahoo that is really good too. In my opinion that beats both google and ask because you can seach for two different things at the same time or even pictures on one side and sites on the other.

Well, google robot regularly and smartly indexes sites. Google have a very unique algorithm to tell which website suppose to come first. Google also change it's result based on the country it's accessed from (or the language the user browses in). So a person from england can see mostly english website first and a person from thailand can see some thai website. Google is a big service now providing other stuff using your "Google Account" known as "Personalized Homepage" where I can add content of my "regularly browsed" site like slashdot or lxer (basically any site with a feed) in it. Ask.com does have a very good design indeed. But people focuses on results when using a search engine!

google is better. Anyway, every time when I search for something, after leaving google, and trying something else, I would get pretty the same results, or no results at all. So in my opinion google beats all other SE.

If you know how to use good keywords and go for the most relevant results, you can really milk Google for all it's worth: a lot.It's an invaluable tool, especially if you're precise and can hone in on what you're really looking for.Ask.com is a bit weak in my opinion, suited more for users that are new to search engines or just inexperienced. Google is much more powerful and "intuitive" for each individual user.

I used to really like Ask back when it was AskJeeves. But I mean, really, why the competition? I know it's a capitalistic world and blah blah, but what if we had all the search engines in one, mean, lean, and open-sourced interface? Have all the SEs of the world working together to correctly index every page in the world? Damn, this really sounds like an euphoric dream, but it's just like the whole situation with all the HTML standards and stuff - Microsoft is ****ing up so much just by making up their own standards because they're too incompetent to implement W3's recommendations. :\

I think its even better than google. not very out there though

I love ask.com Because unlike yahoo,google,aol,msn ect..
ask.com has the little magnifine glass or what ever it is to preveiw the site before you see it

google and ask

Ask.Com Is Better Than Google In My Opinion

I disagree with you.

I think that google is the top search engine on the computer.

I think that everyone else thinks that as well.

-mariluromero

I don't think ask.com is any way near Google in terms of performance. Yes it is a fact that they have been putting a lot of effort to improve themselves but it will take a long time for them to compare with google. They are sponsoring a number of applications to make people install their toolbar which shows that they are trying hard to get visitors but still their performance is not as good as google. Google is well set with a wide visitor base and Google keeps its visitor base through its performance.More than Ask.com, facebook seems to give a tough time to google in coming time because of its growth rate. Facebook is attracting advertisers at a dazzling pace and there is going to be a tough competition between the two giants.

Google is most definately the better search engine for people who know their stuff and what they want. Its advanced features and custom code make it great. The translation part aside, if I want to search a single website for specific text but the site doesn't have its own search then I would simply type "site:thesite.com keywords" and it would return any content its webcrawlers have uncovered on the site with the keywords. Also the AI involved with its search results is amazing. Another good code for it is the inurl: command. You can lookup web pages where the url contains the string instead of the site. Very handy if you can only remember part of a websites url. The image search is really handy as well, especially how you can specify dimensions as well. My opinion of ask.com was somewhat dissapointing. I found it a very basic website designed for plain and common questions, it wasn't capable of properly returning results for my searches.