xisto Community

What do you mean by a bleeding edge tech release? IT's just like it's always been, one of the simplest and easiest to use distros available (if not THE simplest and easiest to use). Its not the most powerful bleeding edge distro by any stretch of the imagination, tho.

I don't think Ubuntu as the easiest and simpliest distribution ever, it actually annoys me a lot.

Ubuntu has many restrictions and too many of its tool still uses the command line system and doesn't have a GUI which is important for newcomers.

Furthermore, I still can't figure out how the heck do you all the computer open a application in a new X Server 'cuz it locks it and not allow me.

xboxrulz

Hm, what kinds of things do you feel you need to use the command line for in Ubuntu? I mean, I know I personally use it for most of the things, but I can think of a way to do virtually everything through the interface. I know one of my friends was using my computer and had never touched linux before and just messed around and found most of the things that they would normally need to know before I even realized they were on the comp.I ask only out of curiosity, I think they've implemeneted in the last couple releases alot of ways to circumvent he command line.... not that I feel you SHOULD :(

They actually have built in packages now for XGL, its a big draw for new users to 6.06. They are planning to have it even more integrated for 6.10 since that release is apparently going to focus alot more on the interface and making the distro more appealing at a glance since they've put so much emphasis on making it usable up until this point (this is not to say they are going to ignore issues that don't relate to the look/feel, but they are going to try to make it snazzier for 6.10). SHould be interesting to have an option like "You have ____ video card, would you like to enable XGL?" right in the installer.

Simple reason for XGL not being an option to put in the installer. It's still beta software, and not everyone with the specs for it has got it working correctly. I've got it working at the moment, but it still gave me a bit of a headache when suddenly all the Gnome window decorators were gone. No way I could select windows, nor they'd appear in the taskbar at the bottom. It took a few symlinks and a new lib file to put it working correctly, which means Ubuntu 6.06 wasn't completely ready for XGL (although it works just fine in my comp).

Maybe 6.10 will change this (fortunately it will) and will allow for XGL to be installed with one or two clicks.

Also, mind that a few of the plugins developed for XGL are far from being stable, taking otherwise stable systems to crash. Again, hopefully, that'll be solved. Not an issue from Ubuntu's dev team as far as I know, anyway.

Still i'm waiting for the free cd's i asked for, site says it takes nearly 2-6 weeks, now 4 weeks passed i think and still waiting for it, may they think 10 Cd's are so much :(

well they should've compressed them into DVDs 'cuz 10 CDs are a lil' too much eh?

xboxrulz

no, it's not 1 copy, each copy comes in one cd, they are 10 CD's for the same copy, coz i have a network here and i need nearly 6 copies, also some friends need some copies, never ubuntu came in more than 1 CD.

I've just ordered ubuntu... now I must wait... ***sits back, and relax, while ubuntu started it's journy towards me***:(anyway, I have that old version ubuntu, I think it's version 4 or something like that... Looks like it's one of the easiest linux distros really...

The primary logic behind them being willing to ship out the cds is that anyone should be able to use linux whether they have broadband or not, therefor they are willing to ship the cds (at no cost to the poor fellow without broadband) so that anyone can get linux for free.

The primary logic behind them being willing to ship out the cds is that anyone should be able to use linux whether they have broadband or not, therefor they are willing to ship the cds (at no cost to the poor fellow without broadband) so that anyone can get linux for free.

You already have succeded in making me feel like a Jerk :(, i already have DSL connection and can download it :S

ah, wait, my friends haven't DSL so i'm not a jerk they will get Linux for free, i think now i deserve these 10 CD's , No :( ??!!

Hahaha, the primary reason is for that, I'm pretty sure, but I mean anyone who wants an official copy is welcome to them, they don't try to imply it's only for a certain type of person. I'm just pretty sure that was their original reason for doing it.

Well, I've been trying to move on to Linux for ages now. My main problem right now is that I only have one hard drive, and it's (so thoughtfully of me) formatted to NTFS (:(). Now, I've run the Ubuntu 6.06 LiveCD, and I really liked it a lot, and I wanted to permanently install it on my computer (next to Windows XP)... but there's that NTFS problem. The installer couldn't repartition my hard drive!

Now, I tried to install the NTFS drivers on Ubuntu, but I didn't have an internet connection there because Ubuntu didn't recognize my Edimax USB Wi-Fi adapter, of which a driver can be found here (I think). So here began my adventures of trying to download the driver onto Ubuntu. I couldn't just leave it on my hard drive and access it through the LiveCD because my disc is NTFS (:(). For some reason floppies didn't want to work. I tried burning the file on a seperate CD, but when I took out the LiveCD while in Ubuntu my system froze. Besides... I can't find any USB drive around the house. Now what was I supposed to do? So I left it alone for a while...

I would die to have Linux finally installed on my desktop! I've been trying to do it for ages! And now, with Linux as easy to use as ever (Ubuntu really does rock from what I've seen on my computer, but it was a bit slow, I think because it was running from the CD), I really can't wait. Maybe I'll get a new hard drive or something.

Anyways. I remember reading on their site about the shipIt program that they're packaging it all nicely and proffessional-looking so that it might appeal more to people. I mean, we die-hard computer geeks actually get turned on by blank CD-Rs, but if we're trying to evangelize Ubuntu, I think a box with a short manual in it, and a printed CD might actually prove really useful.

seec77... I've repartitioned NTFS drives with various different linux distro's default partitioners plus I've done it using partition magic and all were fine... most linux distro's have issues writing to htfs (and some still reading from it) but having an NTFS drive doesn't rule out the ability to partition your drive. I'd suggest poking around the ubuntu forums or just other linux forums in general to try and find out what the problem is before buying a new HD (unless you just want more space, which never hurts heh).Having a professional looking disc would indeed also be a big draw to shipping out the cds, although redhat ships professional looking cds too, just just charge for it :( I was moreso talking about the free aspect of the shipping, but yea I'm sure they have lots of reasons for everything to do with the free cd shipping since I'm pretty sure the only real costs for cononical are employee wages and shipping the discs... and they are, after all, a business :(