xisto Community
Captain Jerry

Dropping Off-line Any way to test a Cable Modem or Router?

I've been having this problem lately of dropping off-line (always on, cable access) I use to have to cycle (unplug and replug) the Cable Modem and the Router (wired Router) in sequence to get back on-line. So I replaced the Cable Modem and Router. Now I'm dropping offline less often, and I can get back on by just cycling the Router.

Q. Is there anyway to "test" a Cable Modem and/or Router to see for sure where the "stoppage" is?

Posted Image

How are you connected to the router ? Through an Ethernet cable ?I had this problem once with a NIC adapter falling, I corrected it when I discovered that in the MS-Windows "properties" of the NIC was checked "allow Microsoft Windows to power off this device when needed". I unchecked the "allow" box and had no more problems.

Try checking your power line for noise. Sometimes, if there is a disturbance in the power line, it can make your cablem modem and/or router go a bit brain dead.