xisto Community
Grafitti

Cable Sharing Problem ..unequal bandwidth

I have a 128k connection that is shared between 6 computers. one computer connects directly to the internet and the others connect through this shared connection. Now I know that already, this is not a good idea, because 128k split over so many will really slow it down, but until I can get a second line there's really no way around it. And I know that the host computer will take the lion's share of the bandwidth. My question is: How can I make sure that the remaining speed is divided equally between the other computers? Right now one or two other computers will have a decent connection through, but the other 3 simply won't connect most of the time, or I have a 0.5kb connection speed, which makes web pages and outlook express mail time out constantly. I would really appreciate a solution to this.

from wut ive heard thats extremely hard, expecially since your internet is slow to begin with, since you dont have very much bandwidth to go around in the first place

I guess that each server will try to get the whole available bandwidth. This is the best way when a single guy is really working, and the other ones do nothing. As soon as one guy needs bandwith, he obtains everything. If two or three guys try to download simultaneously, the bandwidht will be shared "almost" equally, simply the fastest system will get most of the Ethernet packets, the slowest machine will go slower.

Ok, that brings up another question though. Because I have a 3.0 Ghz machine and 5 2.4 Ghz ones. On my 3 gig i run file-sharing, but if i totally close it down, or not open it when i log on (i don't have it set to automatically start), I still have "no" internet, or extremely slow. Even the Google search page can take 20 or 30 seconds to load. So it appears as if the connection is basically dead. then if i start up filesharing, right away i get a download speed of at least 10KB, and the same thing happens when i use download accelerator. I get a decent (for me) connection. but browsers and OE simply can't seem to find that connection properly. Then another question, yordan, if i turn off my 3 gig machine, and all the rest are exact equals in spex, and installed all the same, why will 2 of them get a connection and the other 3 simply won't?

I think that the speed... it just to little for 6 machinesyou get about 3kb or 2kb speed per machine...that speed is less than the speed provided by thephone-modem... you should get a better speed andtry using any net or proxy manager program..and I believe that there is an option to limit the speedfor each of the machines in the net..