xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vicky99

Keep Your Windows XP Protected A discussion.

Dear MembersAs you all may be aware of the spywares, trojan horses,viruses which are troubling us. I have found out a descent way of protecting owr PC's from these harmful stufs. I run a cyber cafe and use windows xp home version. I am describing my way of protecting pc's:-1. Frist of all I have downloaded the windows XP service pack 2.2. Then I have downloaded Avg Free.3. Lastly I have downloaded Windows Defender.4. What I do is that, I have created two accounts in my computer. One Admin which have Administrator rights another guest account. I use the guest account to access internet as well as all other stufs. It helps to protect the pc in effective way. The Security Center of windows XP keep trak of Internal virus database on AVG. It alerts if the database is not updated. Then I downlaod the updates from AVG. Windows defender on the other hand provides run time protection. I guess I have made my point clear. If I have made any mistake please remind me of that.

If your cyber cafe provides only internet access, then Linux would be a good idea. On the other hand, if people can play games too, you'll have to stick with Windows (unfortunatelly). From my experience, Service Pack 2 does imrove the security level, but also slows down the computer. You don't even need it if you have good protection. I have Kaspersky Antivirus, ZoneAlarm and Service Pack 1. In the last year my computer had a virus maybe three times, and only because I downloaded some infected files. KAV is there just to clean up, whereas ZoneAlarm is the real thing. It blocks anything from leaving (and entering) your computer, unless you allow a certain program to have access to the internet.Linux, however, is a totally different story. It is fully functional when it comes to surfing and the amount of viruses for it not considerable. By using Linux you:1. Protect your computer without additional programmes2. Improve the performances, because Linux is tiny compared to WindowsSadly, assuming that you have legal versions, and that you paid for them, it is stupid to remove them from the computers. Nevertheless, if you add more computers to you cafe, think of installing Linux and giving it a chance.

Thanks Pyost for your advice. I agree with you and I don’t provide games. Yet I cannot switch to Linux.. The reason is, 99% of people over here use windows. A few months back I bought Fedora Core 3.0 but I cannot use them in my café. Do you know about any Linux distribution which supports Microsoft Word or the complete Ms Office package? If so please tell me about it.

Do you know about any Linux distribution which supports Microsoft Word or the complete Ms Office package? If so please tell me about it.

There is that OpenOffice - it's free and it has all the tools like Microsoft Office. Runs on linux and windows too, and the best part it's 99% compatible with MS Office. :D

You can always test it, since there is a Windows version, too. As for the people that use Windows, surfing the internet on Linux is just as easy as on Windows :D

Thanks finaldesign

Great news. From where I can download it? Will it run on all linux distribution?

You can download it from here:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

It will probably work on all linux distributions... just search for your distribution on download pages of openoffice.org. good luck! :D

Dear MembersAs you all may be aware of the spywares, trojan horses,viruses which are troubling us. I have found out a descent way of protecting owr PC's from these harmful stufs. I run a cyber cafe and use windows xp home version.
I am describing my way of protecting pc's:-

1. Frist of all I have downloaded the windows XP service pack 2.

2. Then I have downloaded Avg Free.

3. Lastly I have downloaded Windows Defender.

4. What I do is that, I have created two accounts in my computer. One Admin which have Administrator rights another guest account. I use the guest account to access internet as well as all other stufs. It helps to protect the pc in effective way. The Security Center of windows XP keep trak of Internal virus database on AVG. It alerts if the database is not updated. Then I downlaod the updates from AVG. Windows defender on the other hand provides run time protection.
I guess I have made my point clear. If I have made any mistake please remind me of that.

ok im sorry but i have to butt in here...

1. there is no such thing as a safe windows solely because new exploits come out every day not counting the underground exploits.

2. windows defender is trash... try ad-aware personal editon and spywareblaster for adaware and spyware

3. dont forgot a firewall... some free good ones are zonealarm free, avast, and outpost

4. you are right on updating windows for the latest patches

5. always have a antivirus with real time scanner such as AVG and ANTIVIR

6. no matter how much u love IE (internet explorer) it needs to go make a smart switch to firefox you can add plugins that block popups, scripts, java, directx, ads, pretty much 100% configurable

7. and if u are a total paranoid and want to be invisible online try a proxie tool such as JAP and TOR

if you have any questions send me a message

If you want to try out Linux but not install it, try a live cd, eg Knoppix. That way, when your cyber cafe closes, you can quickly try it out. Knoppix comes with OpenOffice and KDE + its programs and you can go to http://knoppix.net/ to find out more about it.Hope it helps,souradipm

Here are my tips for securing your computer:

1. If you use Mac, you are already VERY secure (not saying 100%). If you use Windows, you need to take the following steps.

2. Always use a firewall. Good ones are ZoneAlarm (free) and also Shaw Secure. You can find a lot of them on Download.com.

3. Use a good anti-virus program. If you can afford it, buy Norton AntiVirus. Otherwise, use AVG. Shaw Secure is also a good one (if you use Shaw as your ISP).

4. Multiple spyware defenders. Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Spyware Doctor (for detection only), Bazooka scanner, Yahoo! Toolbar with Anti-Spy, Netscape Spyware Center, SpyCatcher. You don't need all of them, just some. You can read reviews and recommendations at Download.com.

5. Privacy protection. Search Google and Download.com for some good free programs.

6. Use an alternative browser. Firefox andOpera are good. So is Netscape and Maxthon. Don't forget Avant Browser, SeaMonkey and Mozilla. Depending on your features and preference, choose a browser that is NOT Internet Explorer.

7. Use Microsoft Update. Sadly, you need Internet Explorer to access this. If you use Avant Browser as your alternative, you can use it to access Microsoft Update. Download ALL updates for Windows and Office (if you use it). This will ensure security throughout your computer. Crucial updates are high-priority ones.

8. You are not totally protected. Stay on top of security news from trusted sources and CNET. Use McAfee SiteAdvisor for Firefox. Get security plugins for Firefox. There is much you can learn about.

9. Don't open email attachments from untrusted sources. Be suspicious of phishing emails. Virus scan files you download that are from unknown sources.

There is much more to do, much more to know. As long as you follow these tips, you will have enhanced security.