xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Which Linux Flavour? Linux - Windows XP dual boot

All linux software runs on all linux distributions is true, but a lot of times you'll have to compile it yourself. RPMs work for SuSe, Mandrake and Redhat/Fedora. Mandrake is my favorite btw. I've used Ubuntu, Redhat, Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware, Mandrake, SuSe at least but you pretty much have to find the right one for you.

I had Slackware, but it was to comlicated. I couldn't even enable sound drivers. Then I tried Ubuntu but I was dissapointed when I realized that I have to download tons of drivers and codecs, and I only have dial up. I'm trying to get Simply Mepis, I heard that it can do all the thing that ubuntu can't, such as playing mp3.

Ubuntu can play mp3's, you just need to get a media player that plays mp3s, for example xmms and amaroK. Ubuntu is very convenient since you can use Synaptic to just search for a program you want and download it from there, but i do admit it is really annoying when you have dial-up. I don't have dial-up anymore, but i used to. I remember that my dad had these 4 cds that he downloaded from the internet before and i just installed everything off of them, but after a while the programs got a little outdated.Why don't you have high-speed? Is it because you're in an area where you can't get it?

My need now seems to have changed a bit:I am presently having my Windows XP installed on my 80 GB hard disk. I have alloted 10 GB to windows installation, and the rest I have divided into partitions and with format of FAT32. I still have another 10 GB left unpartitioned and unformatted. I intend to install a Linux there. I want a dual boot, but I do not want to reinstall my Windows XP. Is this possible? If yes, which Linux Distribution should I choose. (Note: My necessity for Linux is as a desktop user, and once I migrate my huge data files to linux, I will slowly eat away at Windows and let it remain only for my gaming needs.) So, what Linux Distro should I use, and is it possible to do a dual boot, with Linux as the secondary OS?

As long as you have Windows installed first, then you don't need to reinstall anything.I always recommend SuSE because it is highly stable, customizable, easy to use and configure and most of all, you will not run into any problems which Debian based distribution like Ubuntu faces. Which is, software incompatibility due to the hectic DEB package system.xboxrulz

Oh! So, now I can just download SuSe and install it on the remaining 10GB partition, am I right? I do not need to uninstall or remove Windows and do it all over again?Good. I am off to SuSe official site, and directing my BitTorrent to download the CD images. I assume it will take quite some time.