xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xip

Advice On Upgrade A Computer For Image Processing

Hello all,I need to upgrade a computer to increase its performance for image processing with adobe photoshop cs. The problem I have is because digital pro-images are quite large (12megapixel) the computer totally slow down when opening, aplying a modification,etc.. anything you do will take a long time.The actual computer is a AMD athlon 64 +3400 with 1Gb of RAM. Graphics card is nVidia 5200. Hardisk is SATA 7000rpm (seagate)What do you improve to achieve more performance for this kind of work?As this computer is not for gaming, I don't know if a better graphics card would help.More RAM will speed up anything?The CPU is ok? or it is too much slow ?As you can see, in hardware I'm plenty of doubts so any expert's advice will be appreciated.

You can check the taskmanager to see if you need more memory. Look at the program you use (Photoshop I asume) and see how much memory it uses. Also check out how much memory is used in total. If this is over 850Mb, you'd better get some more ram.The cpu is okay, tough there are faster models available. I don't know whether the program you use supports multiple cpu's, if so, you might consider upgrading to a dual core cpu.