xisto Community
organicbmx

What Do You Say To A New MacBook Pro what do you think?

i have been looking at getting a new computer for some time. specifically a mac. so no-one try to perswade ortherwise, no point - i work in graphics and film.when i was looking a while back i looked at the powermac g5. they looked really nice and very powerful. they were also what i had seen when on work experience. but then news of macintel came out so i held off.so recently i have been looking again. i dont see the point in buying a ppc anymore, as like it or not, they are the past at apple. so it's either macbook pro or imac. the imac is really nice and cheaper but i do want something professional. i have been seriously looking at the macbook pro 17". it has the advantages of a laptop and i have extra monitors and a 300gig ext hd for at home. then i can pick up and walk out.however it only can take up to 2 gig ram and that worries me. surely that will become a bit dated quite soon. and programs will want more to run properly soon. i am also waiting for the adobe software to properly be rewritten in apple Xcode. what does anyone think?

Just got one for my wife last week.
So far its about 45% quicker than her old g5 at final cut.
she says loading fonts in illustrator is about a 1min load instead of a 5min load with her old one.
(she has about 9,000+ fonts.. i kid you not.)
other than that, its pretty seemless.

just my .02

i have been looking at getting a new computer for some time. specifically a mac. so no-one try to perswade ortherwise, no point - i work in graphics and film.
when i was looking a while back i looked at the powermac g5. they looked really nice and very powerful. they were also what i had seen when on work experience. but then news of macintel came out so i held off.

so recently i have been looking again. i dont see the point in buying a ppc anymore, as like it or not, they are the past at apple. so it's either macbook pro or imac. the imac is really nice and cheaper but i do want something professional. i have been seriously looking at the macbook pro 17". it has the advantages of a laptop and i have extra monitors and a 300gig ext hd for at home. then i can pick up and walk out.

however it only can take up to 2 gig ram and that worries me. surely that will become a bit dated quite soon. and programs will want more to run properly soon. i am also waiting for the adobe software to properly be rewritten in apple Xcode. what does anyone think?

Just got one for my wife last week.So far its about 45% quicker than her old g5 at final cut.
she says loading fonts in illustrator is about a 1min load instead of a 5min load with her old one.
(she has about 9,000+ fonts.. i kid you not.)
other than that, its pretty seemless.

just my .02

I'm updgrading from Intel's new motherboard for personal PC from last october ( 3.6 GHz) to the fifteen inch (which is just the right size, large bright, beautiful and it fits better in more bags) and it's a good 50% faster if I were to clock it. The problem's I did have with it were that it warmed up really fast (I'm not sure quite how to fix this), and that little detail I got a defunct model, although they were very supportive and a new model is on the way with ony minor questioning.

I can't stress how brilliantly beautiful the screen is on this baby.

Can someone give me the general US$ street price for a G5 macbook pro, of course the one with Intel processor. I'd like to get one but here they cost upwards of $2,500.

I'm not a mac user (and I'm not saying mac isn't good), but when you buy a mac today, you're simply buying an ordinary computer. The cpu, the graphics card, the hdd, ... everything is the same is in an ordinary computer and yes, I still think this is a shame :( .Nowadays you can even buy a Mac and install windows on it, it's even a stupid move, like Apple is stabbing itself in the back ...So if there's no need for MacOS, you could as well go for a 'normal' laptop.

Can someone give me the general US$ street price for a G5 macbook pro, of course the one with Intel processor. I'd like to get one but here they cost upwards of $2,500.

The G-series processors are PowerPC processors. I think you mean an Intel Core 2 Duo?

They cost like $2199...

xboxrulz

I'm not a mac user (and I'm not saying mac isn't good), but when you buy a mac today, you're simply buying an ordinary computer. The cpu, the graphics card, the hdd, ... everything is the same is in an ordinary computer and yes, I still think this is a shame ;) .Nowadays you can even buy a Mac and install windows on it, it's even a stupid move, like Apple is stabbing itself in the back ...

So if there's no need for MacOS, you could as well go for a 'normal' laptop.

That's exactly why I got pissed at the fact that they are putting inferior processors into the Mac. Picture this, the PowerPC family powers the computers in the International Space Station and the shuttles; also the world's best supercomputers. X86 processors are just ordinary processors for regular servers and desktop computers. The x86 has a history of not being the best processor. It's expandable but it's not computationally optimal. THis is mainly because the x86 has to be very backwards compatible. PowerPCs were built with backwards compatibility in mind from the beginning in the 1970s, the x86 wasn't really when they designed the x86 in 1960s (they never knew they were going to be successful in the first place.

Plus, what really got me going was that Apple claims that the Intel Core 2 Duo runs cooler than their G5 counterparts, that's an outright lie, my Intel Core 2 Duo is running at 80 degrees when it's just running VMWare (CPU hasn't even peaked more than 30%!). My desktop which is Pentium 4, doesn't peak 65 degrees on heavy load. The G5s at my school doesn't peak 70 degrees ever on heavy load (dual core).

xboxrulz