xisto Community
sandeep1405241520

Orkut: Google Community Like Hi5 & MySpace

hi all,
I believe most of you guys will be having an orkut account. For those who don't, Orkut is a social netwrok by google. An employee of google named orkut developed this network in his 20% time when Google allows its employees to do the work of their interest. Moreover, google named the social network on the employee's name. Orkut did his PHD from Stanford Univrsity.
With orkut, you can meet your old friends and can have new friends. Join communities and share views there. A new interface has been purposed for orkut. The screenshots of this interface can be found here:

http://marutiborker.wordpress.com/

I shal say that you join orkut once and you will get addicted to it. I visit orkut every 30 minutes to check if something new has happened in the network.

Do post your comments.
Happy Orkuting.
Regards.

hey thanks for that information that orkut is being given a new look. Those screenshots will make orkut a nice place to live in. I have been using orkut for last 4 months and have come in contact with those friends who i had never thought that i will be able to communicate with.Really nice website and i yes i searched for the meaning of Orkut everywhere but couldn't find. Thanx for that info too. Its really great that google introduces so much innovation and gives so much of freedom to its employees to start there own projects. In the past, orkut was quite slow. A lot of time i faced Bad Server error but now its working quite fast and changes are updated immediately.I really like that social network.

I think the reason you were getting bad server errors before is because of the huge flood of brazilian soccer fans who were signing up for it. Orkut is alright, it's sort of a competitor to Myspace.com and possibly Hi5,Though the polarization is quite strong and i don't see it becoming the number 1 anytime soon. Basically, the states and western europe use Myspace, and Orkut is generally favored by those in Brazil, India, and Pakistan. I read an interesting article about Orkut in the IT magazine "Spider". It said that if there hadn't been this huge rush by brazilians when it was launched, it could have captured the US market. but because the servers were overloaded, people who logged on kept getting these bad server errors, and just gave up on it. I have an Orkut account but quite frankly i never use it. i have email, chatting, and SMS, and that's all i need. If you can keep it in its proper place it might be alright, but i live with someone for whom addicted is a mild term. first thing in the morning, every 5 minutes, and last thing at night. Sad thing is the only ones this person gets scraps from are people you spend half the day talking to on the phone anyways, so it turns out to be a big waste of time.

hey Grafitti,Thanx for that information. I was wondering why there were so many communities in orkut with some other language. Now I can figure it out that due to surge in members from Brazil, they have created communities in their local language. I even saw the demographics of Orkut which say that about 70% of orkut members are from Brazil which supports your information. Moreover, it says that the most active useres are from the age group 18-25. That really sounds how active the youth is. But still i have seen many profiles on orkut with age of about 50+. Hi5 is also great and i also use it. Myspace is new to me. I am going to register there and will share my experience about myspace here.Thanx once again for providing that extra information.Regards.

Edited by Nivedita (see edit history)

Hmm... sounds like it definitely has potential (just like everything that gets cranked out of Google :unsure: ) but I have no use for what sounds like a beta version. Not to mention I primarily use Myspace to spread the word about my music, and mostly to people in my local area. Orkut seems like the kind of thing people just try out and then leave alone.Maybe in a year or so it will be popular. Hate to sound like a bandwagon jumper, but that's just how it works for me.

Orkut sounds nice, but I have a couple of reasons for not joining. Most importantly, I don't want to get addicted. I have enough addictions, and one more certainly isn't going to help me. Best to save these addictive substances for use when I have a lot of free time. Orkut might be good if I just spent my spare time on it, but obviously that is not going to happen.

I've also tried Hi5 -- it's not bad, but I didn't actually use the account. Someone I'd met over the Internet originally recommended me to use it, but since she left, I don't bother.

Myspace I tried but didn't particularly care for. I hate the site design on most Myspace sites no offense to anyone. Most of the times there's a million animations and videos that freeze my computer while they are trying to load, garish backgrounds that make it impossible to see the text, and obviously non standards compliant code.

I've been a longtime user of both MySpace and Hi5 - and of Orkut since last Feb. I've finally decided to settle down for Orkut for good.Both MySpace and Hi5 were good at one point of time - MySpace still is, but it's servers are always heavily loaded most likely due to so much of media files transportation. Besides I've come to hate the layout when compared to Orkut.As for Hi5 - it was nice and fun at one point of time - but I've got to say that they've got a bunch of extremely lousy coders who have a habit of adding in stuff without checking the code properly. Every second day some new bug or the other crops up - sometimes it doesn't let me login, sometimes it keeps redirecting me to a certain profile the moment I log in.. the troubles are endless. Plus their servers are getting slower and slower and the whole layout has taken a massive dip for the worst.Out of all these - atm, I believe Orkut sports the cleanest (bug free) and fastest interface - and the most smart one too - all three are primary criteria for me to judge such a tool. I've become a die-hard fan of Orkut just like the other Google products I'm a fan of. Only thing I wish Orkut to have is some sort of a personal journal/blog thing integrated into it and that should make it an outstanding all-rounder.

adding google adsense to my hi5 profile

Orkut: Google Community Like Hi5 & MySpace

Hi,

I want know how to add google adsense to my hi5 profile to earn some $$ (dollars).

Thanks.

Darlington

-reply by Darlington