xisto Community
circlemodeling

NOD32 vs. Kaspersky: Which Is Better?

Kaspersky Internet Suite (AV, Firewall, Ad blocker, Proactive defense, etc, etc, )

Mem usage @ idle-

Avp.exe: 2k

Avp.exe: 3k

Total=5k (roughly)

NOD32 Antivirus (JUST the AV, NO firewall, etc, etc)

Mem usage @ idle-

Nod32krn.exe: 25k

Nod32kui.exe: 3k

Total=28k (roughly)

Anyone who says "NOD32 is the lightest/Fastest" is just regurgitating the marketing gimmic ESET uses to sell their sub-par scanner.

I have used NOD32 but havent been very satisfied with it, it really didnt take much resources and didnt lag or frezee my computer but a lot of viruses and particulary trojans got away un-dedected; even though I was updating and scanning my computer regulary.Since than I started using Kaspersky Internet Security 7 and I am very satisfied with this program, its not just an antivirus, it also cleans up your computer from trojans, dialers, website hijacers and such. It updates automatically and scans all running processess on Windows. I also like the firewall a lot.Overal I would chose Kaspersky antivirus or internet security 7 before any other antivirus out there.Cheers,Fabrika

Kaspersky v/s NOD32

Kaspersky FTW =) If only it wuz lighter and less bugging with its constant pop-ups :o I've tries NOD32 too it's quite good but less reliable I guess compared to Kaspersky, I say "vote for KAV" the best-est of all ;)

-reply by Czarina

I've got NOD32 on my computer at the moment, and I'm happy with it.. But I also have to run Spyware Doctor, because sometimes NOD32 misses things. After reading all your posts, I'm going to give Kaspersky a go, because it is obviously highly recommended. On the plus side, it also takes up less processes, which is a major thing for me (running 256mb RAM). I'll post how it goes later.

Replying to lolnodDo that test non-idle.. See how avp.Exe cpu resource grows like the hulk and the memory usage grows..I tested it with their just released KAV 2009 the past 4 days..Memory leeks all the way..I love bitdefender and NOD32 (Used to love kaspersky too but this is starting to change...).-reply by Azzaro

Both are great. My computers (I have them 2) used to work a bit slower with kaspersky, although nod 32 doesn't catch Microsoft's built-in info senders (which I consider as viruses). I' ve heard about it before and recently I've ran up to this fact myself, while installing Zune theme. Kaspersky 7 blocked and deleted a kind of riskware application (info sender) during installation, while nod 32 kept itself quite. It seems Microsoft indeed does have some kind of deal with Eset. -reply by Guaram

Richard Marko, ESET s chief software architect said:"Authors of this test have compared the efficiency of proactive protection against unidentified or mutated infiltrations. The tested products were not updated for the period of three months.We achieved the best result in the test, but the real level and efficiency of our detention rate is even higher. Regulary updated heuristics is definitely more efficient when detecting new viruses than the three months old one".
Personally, I have proved Nod 2.5 and Kaspersky6 personal at their maximun configuration and Nod 32 continues being even much lighter at resources.
Nod 32 is also improving their reactive detection rate surprisingly as AV Comparatives tested.

in terms of ram usage.. kaspersky uses a lot of mb's
but in terms of strick protection kaspersky gives you security
as long as you have the working key..

which one is better? or other program use to kill virus please advice me.thanks you..

I think Kaspersky is better. Maybe NOD32 works faster then KAV but it is not safe. I am working in Internet cafe and there have 50 computers. When i formatted my computers and first installed nod32 after few days they fails one by one no matter how i care od them. And then i have to format them again and again. So i started use KAV7. Now I have no problems. Sometimes one or two pc's fails but i have lot of free time now. So I recommend you use KAV7 or maybe KAV8. I hear that they released KAV2009 it mus be great. SO if guys can find KAV2009 key please send me(emusicsr@yahoo.com).

i think is Kaspersky..NOD32 is included with motherboard cds.. it's very used but i think it's not secure for me.Kaspersky already catch some virus that NOD32 don'ti use it in my windows 2003 server and i tested so many times with all kind of virus.. and it detected the virus in real-time!my advice is Kaspersky.. but, before all.. test every Anti-Virus.look what your need and install one in your pc.bye.

Just an opinion

I've used Nod32 (and have payed license) for 2 years now. No problems until recently. My browser behavior were odd. Couldn't search with google, yahoo and couldn't get some sites, and other similar problems. Run Nod32 for deep search. It found nothing. Tried Ad-aware, spy bot and some other, they found problems, removed them, and pc worked fine until next boot. All problems back. Then I tried Kaspersky. Kaspersky found and removed about 10 trojans/virus and removed all except monderc.Gen It found it, let me delete it but it was back after every new boot Did another deepscan and suddenly something happened (bluescreen error messages, restart) and after that no more problems with monderc.Gen (about one week later now...) Otherwise, I think Nod32, Kaspsperky and Avast pro are the best to find AND PERMANENTLY remove most viruses. Norton, Panda, AVG, F-Secure, Macafe really **** at this according to my experience.

-reply by Charlie

Replying to lolnod
Do that test non-idle.. See how avp.Exe cpu resource grows like the hulk and the memory usage grows..

While running a Full system scan KIS uses just under what Nod32 does at idle.

I tested it with their just released KAV 2009 the past 4 days..
Memory leeks all the way..

As with most apps that are currently being beta tested it's going to have bugs.
That will be fixed before it goes to release I have no doubt.

I think Kaspersky is better when it comes to tests but they are both very close when it comes to detection rates.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Security-Why-Kaspersky-is-Better-Than-NOD32-67164.shtml

You can’t always tell which is the best anti-virus for your machine, as all the vendors will claim they deliver top-notch solutions, that they are leaders on the market and all that. Also, you often get facts stating that in some test a certain anti-virus ranked first, but they rarely state what competition they had.In any case, in view of recent events, Kaspersky beats the crap out of NOD32; and I will give you some facts and explain why it is so.

A computer with NOD32 and Windows XP SP2 had been infected by several Trojans. The AV found two of them and no matter how many times you would delete them, they would still pop up after rebooting. NOD32 could not disinfect the files, it just deleted them. That was pretty nasty. Couldn’t get rid of the threats! Cmd didn’t help much either – I guess they were stuck in the Recycler or something. Now, what I advised the owner of the affected machine was to run other AV solutions… however, none of the free ones seemed to do better than NOD32, fact which was to be expected. Then she asked me what else could she buy, so I advised her to get Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0. The minute it had been installed it asked for an update and a full system scan. It took Kaspersky about 2 hours to scan a 70% full 160GB hard drive, but it found 8 threats and eliminated them all. I then rebooted the machine and scanned the folders where the viruses had been discovered – now it was all clean. So, based on this experience, I would definitely go with Kaspersky, rather than NOD32.

To us users, it’s these things that count. It doesn’t matter what tests and magazines say – when you’re facing a threat and your AV doesn’t help you enough, then you deem it useless. Users don't care what other threats it may destroy – they want to get rid of the ones THEY'RE facing! Furthermore, after this happening, I definitely became a Kaspersky fan. I, for one, don’t care how much resource it will eat up – at least I will stay protected. What’s the use of having security software that will not "stress" your machine, if it’s also ineffective against viruses?

Edited by TBK (see edit history)