xisto Community
amitbhandari

Have You Heard Of Secure Shell (SSH) ? info

Hi all,Have u heard about SSH. Its a network service which runs at port no. 22Its secure in the sense that it transfers data using encryption. The user name and password are sent after encrypting so that the sniffer can't get hold of them. More interestingly, it has a feature that allows the user to forget password and use encryption as the basis of aunthetication.There is a very interesting tool known as Putty. Putty allows you to generate a pair of public and private keys.The user submits the public key to the server. The server stores the user name and his public key in the location:./.ssh/authorized-keyswhen the user sends a request to login. The server generates a random number, encrypts it using the key provided by the user and sends it to the user.The user uses his private key and decrypts the number and sends the number to server. The server matches the number it generated and the one received from the user. If they match, the user is authenticated by the server.Hope that helpedRegards.

Hi all,
Have u heard about SSH. Its a network service which runs at port no. 22
Its secure in the sense that it transfers data using encryption. The user name and password are sent after encrypting so that the sniffer can't get hold of them.

<snip>

Yes, I have been using SSH for years (I think ~1998). Most UNIX systems these days have it enabled in place of telnet. Internet sites like Sourceforge require SSH to access some of their servers.

As you say, one if its interesting aspects is the (optional) use of public key encryption instead of a password. I actually make this required on servers I set up. Besides being much more secure (there simply is no password to snoop in transit), it is extremely convenient. With SSH key agents like SSHKeychain (for OS X) or SSHAgent (for Linux/UNIX), I only enter my password once and the agent provides the proper keys for the proper systems.

Something you do not really mention is the ability to tunnel ports for other protocols over SSH. I can run X-Windows programs over the connection, for instance. I can also open a secure HTTP connection to test my server before making HTTP available to the rest of the world.

Another extremely useful feature is forwarding connections. I can set up my database server so that it can only be contacted by the webserver. I can ssh to the webserver and then ssh to the database server using a key stored only on my own system. I can also forward ports from end to end.

Yes, SSH is definitely a useful tool to have in your kit.

Yes, I use SSH all the time for my daily stuff. Some classes at my university require the use of SSH with their file servers to do homework and submit it. I have a dedicated server at my house with port 22 open, so whenever I'm on the road and I need a shell account, I can login to my IP Address. That is actually pretty handy when you really really need a Unix System.I even have a SSH program on my Palm TX called TuSSH. So I can have Unix wherever I go as long as I have a wireless internet connection...think of the possbilities.Yay for SSH