xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DungeoN

Unmountable_boot_volume

Hello all,I don't know what's up with my system. It doesn't load to any of the windows that I freshly install. I am using a Seagate 160Gig Ultra ATA. I installed windows XP on it, whenever I get to the Windows XP with the running back and forth bar underneath. THe blue screen comes up with this error:UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUMEHOWEVER,when I use my 6Gig Western Digital and install XP and it WORKS!!! ... I Can log on windows w/out problem. ---System Spect---Motherboard: Soyo Dragon 2 plus (New BIOS installed)CPU: P4 2.8GhzMem: 1012MB (2 x 512MB) 3200-----------------------please help, don't know what to do anymore. been install and uninstall a few days already. stuck now ... GuardianX

I've never heard of this problem before, but, always expect the unexpected from Microsoft :)Do you have any other OS's installed, Linux, OS/2, something? That also shoudn't present a problem, but... Also, try to create two or three partitions, limit the primary partition to, say, 20 Gigs, and leave the rest for extended partition...I didn't hear that XP has partition size limit, but hey, it's possible...Corrupted installation CD is out of question, since you say it works on a smaller HDD... Try something of above... I'm really interested in this problem now, never seen it, or heard of it, hope someone here has more info, or a solution to this...Hope some of this helped...

Hi Galahad,This kind of problem can be caused by either of the following:First1) Did you install the new HD (ie. 160gig) using Seagates' installation/ configuration utility? Make sure you use it to partition the HD (as Dungeon suggested) and NOT a third party partitioning utility (eg. Ranish Partition Magic etc.). Some drive just don't like third party partition utilitys for their initial setups.2) Make sure you make the boot drive partition as small as possible (ie only what you need for the OS).3) Make sure you don't have a "dual" boot conflict situation (again as Dungeon suggested). Disable/ remove any Linux boot programs untill AFTER you have XP installed & booting properly.Hope this helps,RGPHNXps- POST BACK & LET US KNOW THE SOL'N.

Hi Galahad,

This kind of problem can be caused by either of the following:

First

1) Did you install the new HD (ie. 160gig) using Seagates' installation/ configuration utility? Make sure you use it to partition the HD (as Dungeon suggested) and NOT a third party partitioning utility (eg. Ranish Partition Magic etc.). Some drive just don't like third party partition utilitys for their initial setups.

2) Make sure you make the boot drive partition as small as possible (ie only what you need for the OS).

3) Make sure you don't have a "dual" boot conflict situation (again as Dungeon suggested). Disable/ remove any Linux boot programs untill AFTER you have XP installed & booting properly.

Hope this helps,

RGPHNX

ps- POST BACK & LET US KNOW THE SOL'N.

63025[/snapback]

Ooops.. got the author names in previous post reversed. Err.. need more caffeine.

Anyway you'all know what I mean.

RGPHNX

DungeoN,It is also possible that your harddrive is corrupt. Can you boot your xp in secure mode?If you can, preform a scan on your drive.If that does not work, you might also try to boot in the console mode, from there you can preform a fixmbrHope it helps.