xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kgd2006

Dell And Alienware Merge When is a good time to buy a Alienware product?

Hello everyone, I had an earlier post that talked about the Alienware computer that I was going to get. But, since then Dell and Alienware merged. Which I believe might lower the prices of Alienware products eventually. So does anyone know if I should wait to see if Alienware lowers their prices for computers, if so how long would you suggest I wait before making a purchase from them? Or should I just go ahead and buy a product from them, assuming the fact that their prices will not lower anyway. Please give my info on my situation if you can, thanks in advance...

Edited by kgd2006 (see edit history)

I'd say wait a month max... I don't see Dell directly influencing Alienware that much really. They're offering financing on the alienware machines but I think they want to leave alienware alone to do its thing, promote it more, and cash in. There is the possibility of lowering the prices but there logic behind it was to draw in the hardcore gamers and if they try to turn alienware into budget high end gaming rigs it'll just feel like their XPS line in a new case :|So yea, I'd say give it another few weeks to a month and if nothing happens, buy away.

But Alienware really makes cutting edge PC's. I would say nothing much is changed with this merge of Dell and Alienware, just probably Alienware computers would be selling under Dell brand, that will probably be called Dell-Alienware :lol:

I don't think you should wait too long. According to Dell and Alienware, they would for the most part remain separate entities with possibly Alienware utilizing Dell's economies of scale to lower prices slightly but I don't see this as being significant for at least a while.

Alienware and Dell are still going to be two separate brands final design. There will be some more funkiness to the XPS systems but they are going to be alternatives rather than removing the XPS line altogether.

Dell suffered mainly because of its business corporate image and its bond to Intel chips which made it suffer a lot in the past year or so due to AMD's superiority in gaming. Purchasing Alienware is the solution to this.

If the only reason why you're buying Alienware is for the AMD chips inside you might want to wait though.

The Dell XPS line might make a comeback especially with its competitive pricing.

I believe Intel has a new chip (Conroe) up its sleeves that is due to be released later this year and rumour has it that it might even be better than the AMD next generation chip. It's based on completely new micro architecture which overcomes the failings of the Netburst architecture for games. http://www.anandtech.com/show/1963

Dell having its dibs on Intel stuff will get these chips in their pcs really fast and at good pricings.

My policy is don't wait. If you like it, buy it. If you start waiting for prices to drop, you'll never get your pc but if your consideration is mainly price and super performance, you might want to wait for the XPS with Conroes which should be slightly cheaper than Alienwares.