xisto Community
sparx

Advice On MP3 Player Needed Must have FM tuner + min. 2 GB capacity

Hello all !

Someone I know is flying to Dubai and has very kindly agreed to get me any electronic consumer goods that I want. Right now, a personal music player is at the top of my "I want this..." list.

However, I want to ask the advice of users on the forum as to what particular model they'd suggest. The following parameters are must-haves:

At least 2 GB capacity

FM tuner

ability to play WMA, MP3 - a must. (Plus points if it can also play MP4 / OGG / AAC)

good battery life - 10 - 12 hours actual playback (which means a rated life of about 14 hours)

I don't need/want a colour screen. Even removable AAA battery would do as I have plenty of rechargeable batteries lying around.

Looking forward to your inputs, guys !

Finding an MP3 player with radio is difficult, because a hard disk is sensitive to magnetic fields and an radio antenna creates a magnetic field.

I think that you'll have to go for a solution with external radio plugin module:
Such as: Ipod nano 2Gb (199$) + radio Remote (49âŹ)
Link

Nah, I don't know for sure which ones have them, but there are a good number that have built in fm tuners. I wanna say the zen micro's would fit all your criteria but I'm not sure... I'm sure someone will show up soon to list off the best ones :lol:

Nah, I don't know for sure which ones have them, but there are a good number that have built in fm tuners. I wanna say the zen micro's would fit all your criteria but I'm not sure... I'm sure someone will show up soon to list off the best ones :lol:

Indeed, there are a certain number of players with built-in FM, but I haven't heard good comments about those. The apple-solution that I metioned earlier is both very extended (? English is not my native language :lol: ) and very easy to use.

Oh really? I've never heard any complaints from the people I know who use tuners in their mp3 players. Then again, that doesn't rule out the possibility for fault, it just could mean my friends are all lucky hehe. Streamus, happen to know any sites that discuss if that is a documented problem with any mp3 players? Just curious about it now

Well, I believe your friends as much as I believe the posts on forum's I've read so far. What I've read, was written on the Telenet Forums (but they are written in dutch, so I fear you won't understand).As I recall (and it's a while ago) the problems were:- Difficult to save radio stations- If the HD was spinnig, a high frequent buzzing was noticable while listening to the radio.- Euhm, that's what I can recall. I'll try to find the thread and will edit this post if I have more info.But I believe you, and maybe you can post the brands and series of players your friends use, so I can recommand them if other people come up with the same question.(My sister is looking for such a player as well. :lol: )

Edited by Streamus (see edit history)

I would suggest an ipod nano or a creative zen that would give you what you want.I am currently using a creative muvo 128mb and the battery life is quite high, it can go on for days playing and it doubles as a flash drive.It can also support wma and mp3 and it is very easy to install.. just plug and play :lol:So yeah, have a search around for the one you'd like the most, if i were you i'd pick one of the newest ones because they usually come with all those features as standard.Good luck picking one!-HellFire

Hello all !

Someone I know is flying to Dubai and has very kindly agreed to get me any electronic consumer goods that I want. Right now, a personal music player is at the top of my "I want this..." list.

However, I want to ask the advice of users on the forum as to what particular model they'd suggest. The following parameters are must-haves:

At least 2 GB capacity

FM tuner

ability to play WMA, MP3 - a must. (Plus points if it can also play MP4 / OGG / AAC)

good battery life - 10 - 12 hours actual playback (which means a rated life of about 14 hours)

I don't need/want a colour screen. Even removable AAA battery would do as I have plenty of rechargeable batteries lying around.

Looking forward to your inputs, guys !

Er, my oppinion is that an ipod nano 2 GB will run you I guess someone said... $200? It fulfills most, or maybe a little less then most, of those requirements. The one that I am sure that it doesn't fulfill is an FM tuner. I think it fulfills the others though. I am pretty sure it can play AAC and MP4, not sure on the OGG. I think it has a rated battery life of 14 hours, though maybe it is just 12 or so. maybe a little researc hat store.apple.com or pcmall.com and/or macmall.com is in order?

from your two choices sparkx, i would have to go with the 6gb zen micro. its smaller then the other one, but then again, you said 2gb so thats heaps. the zen is a good sturdy player and has great menu structure and is easy to navigate. I have owned one of these for the last year and its seems to be still going every day! this is my suggestion.happy hunting-jimmy

My work deals with mp3 players and i've tested/used most of those available in the market. I can easily say, eyes closed, that Sandisk's Sansa player is the best available out there. It supports a lot of protocols not even out in the market (the general public doesn't know about these things) and i'd say its future proof for the near future. Gives a decent 20 hr playback, FM, wma, mp3, also supports video. Also has Rhapsody, which was recently announced by RealNetworks. Can also record FM as well as voice. Sansa E250 is the one i'm using.iRiver would share second place with ipod+remoteFM. iRiver's models are sturdy while ipods are sleek. iRivers, again, support the protocols i mentioned earlier, and are future proof.

Sandisk's Sansa player is the best available out there.

The Sansa is a very nice player but it is well over priced. Sandisk Sansas are rather expensive and the storage isn't very large either. I can get a much better player from iriver, iaudio, or creative than the sansa for $300.

iRiver would share second place with ipod+remoteFM.

Please be kidding. It is truly degrading to compare a very good line of products to the pieces of crap known as ipods. Ipods are overpriced, lack many functions, and have horrible sound quality. The only reason why those pieces of crap sell is because of mass marketing and the domino effect.

Samsung YP-Z5F

Specs:

Storage: Flash

Capacity: 4 GB

FM Radio: Yes

Color Display: Yes

Interface Type: USB 1.1, USB 2.0

Weight: 58 g

Dimensions: 42.2 x 89.8 x 12.3 mm

Supported audio formats: ASF, MP3, WMA

Very good sound quality. Compared to the HD soundcard on my laptop the YP-Z5F plays broader frequency range IMHO. The strange thing about this device is the mixture between normal buttons and touch-pad, which requires "getting used to" time. The Flash storage does not interfere with the FM tuner.

Posted Image