xisto Community
AdityaKar

Just Webmail Or An Entire Desktop Replacement? goowy.com

Posted Image

Is it a Mac? Is it a shell replacement? No! Its webmail! Surprised? Well thats why I gave the screenshot before I started writing. :lol:
Its Goowy.com a new free webservice offering e-mail, games, caldender, contacts, etc. and all that along with an interface which looks like a MacOSX desktop. What you see in the screenshot is the desktop of Goowy.com running in full screen mode in IE. Once you register and login, this is the screen that you'll see. It has an object bar at the bottom from where all the services and options can be selected. On hovering the mouse pointer over it, the icons jump up and down just like in Mac. From the options, amongst other things, the theme and background can also be customized and Goowy can also be configured to recieve mail from other POP accounts. The conatcts and the calendar are also intuitive and useful. And in case you are getting bored there's a big selection of games to select from.
Goowy also has desktop minis which is exactly the same as desktop widgets in Mac. Various minis can be put on the desktop to read news from RSS feeds, listen to PODcasts, view slideshows, weather information, etc. But the more minis you put, the slower it gets. In fact speed is the major problem of goowy.com. The entire interface is made in Flash, which is heavy on your system as well as your net connection. It also says that they've Instant Messaging and Online File storage coming soon!
It seems that Goowy wants to become the one stop shop for everything so that we have it open all through out the day. And that can be seen from the fact that they've got an interface that actually takes over the desktop. This is the problem that might prevent Goowy.com from becoming popular. Moreover, most people wouldn't like to shift their current email address either (and you won't be too proud to announce your email as @goowy.com :) ).
But having said all that, I would still recommend checking out Goowy.com just to take a look the GUI(goowy) and the power of Flash. The animations are also neat and are a treat for the eyes. :lol:
In case you are still unsure, take a look at some more screenshots below:

Desktop minis:
Posted Image

Email interface:
Posted Image

Calender:
Posted Image

Options(Themes):
Posted Image

-ADi

Edited by Aditya (see edit history)

Posted Image

Is it a Mac? Is it a shell replacement? No! Its webmail! Surprised? Well thats why I gave the screenshot before I started writing. :lol:

Its Goowy.com a new free webservice offering e-mail, games, caldender, contacts, etc. and all that along with an interface which looks like a MacOSX desktop. What you see in the screenshot is the desktop of Goowy.com running in full screen mode in IE. Once you register and login, this is the screen that you'll see. It has an object bar at the bottom from where all the services and options can be selected. On hovering the mouse pointer over it, the icons jump up and down just like in Mac. From the options, amongst other things, the theme and background can also be customized and Goowy can also be configured to recieve mail from other POP accounts. The conatcts and the calendar are also intuitive and useful. And in case you are getting bored there's a big selection of games to select from.

<snip>

-ADi

This kind of thing would have been extremely handy when I was on the road all of the time. At hotels and client sites I generally had a broadband connection. I also had 3G wireless on the laptop. Being able to access a suite of applications with shared data is something we tried to setup many times at the office with varying degrees of success.

Now, I would not use it. My network connection is much too squirrely to have my data on a remote system. I was just without access to my email for three days a week ago. At least, wih IMAP, I have copies of all my existing folders, address book, etc., so I can still access past info even if I cannot receive new mail when the 'net goes down.

Heh, I used to use this a while back. Maybe about two years ago? It didn't have such a fancy Mac interface then, but nevertheless, it was still pretty cool. I deleted my account because my connection was way too slow to handle Goowy, and maybe also because of the fact that I always, always, ALWAYS keep misspelling its name. (I wrote "Gowwy" there before fixing the spelling. XD) I love their idea of just having a desktop to go, but they really have to try and streamline it. By a lot.Serena