xisto Community
Vicious_AD

Motion Gloves

I'm not entirely sure if these already exist, and they probably do in some form, but here is my idea:Picture the tecnhology of birtual reality headgear in the form of gloves. the same rotating ball that tracks head movement and relays it, ect, but no visual benifit. Instead, it could be used as a portable wireless keyboard or perhaps a piano simulation or a game conrtoller. I'm sure it exists, but why has it not been related ro video games? has it?

I'm not sure if I understood you completely, but the way I see it, there already is something like that. It is not very complex as you imagine it, but is used for playing video games.I'm talking about some gadgets that you put around your wrists and ankles, and then the game uses your hand and feet movement to do something. This tool is connected to PlayStation (afaik) and I have tried it myself. It is quite interesting if you use it for playing Tekken, but it's not very practical, since the whole technology isn't advance enough. It can follow only the simplest moves, and you have to be careful what you do if you want your character to hit the way you want him to.

I'm not entirely sure if these already exist, and they probably do in some form, but here is my idea:Picture the tecnhology of birtual reality headgear in the form of gloves. the same rotating ball that tracks head movement and relays it, ect, but no visual benifit. Instead, it could be used as a portable wireless keyboard or perhaps a piano simulation or a game conrtoller. I'm sure it exists, but why has it not been related ro video games? has it?

The game Black and White had a virtual world with a glove interface. It could be played with a mouse, but with the glove it was much better. You could use the glove to point at, manipulate, pick up, and even throw objects with the glove. The glove (hardware) had support for very few games, but Black and White really made good use of it.

The big problem with them is that there are only a few types of things at this point where a glove interface is really better than anything else. A graphics pad is better for drawing, a keyboard is better for text entry, a mouse is better for navigation and pointing. Robotics (remote control) and gaming are really the only places where they shine, and even there a modest control stick is still better for 9 out of 10 situations.

The new Nintendo's controller relies not just on your button input but also on your motions. I'm guessing that fly-fishing games are going to be disgustngly popular for this console.

This is something similar to the project I did for my bachelours (Engineering). We had developed a system, that tracked the motion of the head. It is already being used in (I think) the Comanche helicopters, where the cockpit detects the motion of the helmet of the pilot and replicates the motion to the nose mounted camera. It did so, using an elaborate means of laser detectors placed with in the cocpit.Our project differed in the implementation part. Instead of having a surround system that detected motion, we placed the motion detecting device on the the head itself (a cap). It contained a MEMs(Micro Electro Mechanical) chip that translated the roll, pitch and yaw motions into digital data, that we transmitted to the computer. Before someone thinks I am straying away from the topic, let me state that we were also able to mounth the prototype on a glove, so that it could detect the same motion of the the hand. The degree of accuracy was 0.5 degrees, with the amount of signal processing we could do (with our capability and simple electronic lab equipments). We did a lot many things with the data (motion tracking, predication, mechanical translation), but all that woudl be out of scope of this thread.On some research, we came to conclusion that we would be able to increase the accuracy of the device, but we stopped working on the project as we all got graduated and moved on with our lives. The two of us are contemplating on restarting the work on it, but as a open-source software/hardware project and may host the project at Source Forge. [Hey, I belive, there was something associated with Xisto that dealt with hosting projects, but I am not sure about Hardware part of it].An interesting thing to be noted here is that, after a little study, we found that it could be used in other fields than gaming. We had a talk with an orthopediatric, and the good doctor could identify some diagnostic problems that could be solved with a bit advanced version of our device.

if this exist, so...... cheap.... much.!

exists?

In a somewhat similar concept, there is something called remote surgery now... where a doctor, miles away, dons on special gloves and instrumentation and literally performs surgery on a patient remotely. The surgery is done by robotics, but the remote doctor is the one controlling all the mechanics. It's really neat; and is useful for when a doctor is unable to get to a surgical stage in a timely manner (lots of reasons for this).

In a somewhat similar concept, there is something called remote surgery now... where a doctor, miles away, dons on special gloves and instrumentation and literally performs surgery on a patient remotely. The surgery is done by robotics, but the remote doctor is the one controlling all the mechanics. It's really neat; and is useful for when a doctor is unable to get to a surgical stage in a timely manner (lots of reasons for this).

Yeah, I saw that on Daily Planet (that's a show on Discovery Channel). They dedicated a whole episode on this concept. One of them was much like the motion gloves, only more fancy. Basically, you go into this sphere that looks like a cage, wear special wireless gloves/sensors and a pair of goggles, and you enter a virtual world. Whatever you do will imitate your actions in the game/simulation; it's sort of like the Nintendo Wii in that way, but much more sophisticated. The US Army actually uses it to train soldiers how to react in certain situations. However, unless you're really, really, really rich, you won't be able to afford this; it costs about $1 million per set (cage, equipment, etc.).

Maybe in thirty years though. Maybe the average Joe will be able to own one then. Maybe.

Serena