xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
marretas

Playstation 1: The End

Eleven years after the launch of first playstation, in Japan, Playstation will no longer be made. Sony has announced this week that will "shutdown" the Playstation manufacture for ever. Since 1994 December, making people life a little better, PlayStation atchive 100 millions units sold all over the world.

Yea I had read about that. I'm actually impressed they lasted this long... probably would have shut down a couple years ago if it hadn't been for the release of the PSone model. Added a few years to the ol lifespan. Either way, the original PSX was an amazing piece of technology. Many good memories attached to that sucker *sniff*. I like how Sony made sure to point out that PSOne's will still be available for some time to come, just no new ones produced haha. Trying to squeeze every penny out of that generation :lol:

I'm surprised that they still bothered for more than a few months after PS2 came out.My brother had a PS a while after they came out. I'm pretty sure he still has it somewhere, but he doesn't play it - the PS2 is more interesting, and Sony was intelligent enough to make old games compatible with new systems, so he can still play the earlier Resident Evil games and other things that he enjoys.

Amazing that people were still buying the psx or psone. PS2 played ps1 games so, that in itself should've reduced sales way below the costs of the goods. Needless to say, it had a very good run, and with the upcoming launch of the PS3 I guess they to start pumping out those systems. I still have my old playstation 1 around somewhere. I think I bought it when it was 129.99 if I'm not mistaken. I got Resident Eveil 4, Tomb Raider 2, Crash 2, and I think that's it. I'm not much into buying games, but I enjoyed it anyways. Had lots of fun times with the hot shots golf demo that came with it.

Yeah i didnt even know they were still making the Playstations. I thought production would have stopped with the release of PS2. Geez. I have only ever owned two gaming systems besides the great old computer...Coleco Vision... great games like Smurfs, q-bert, and yes even Cabbage Patch Kids.Xbox 360... Best investment of my money ever. Amazing.Can't wait to compare the 360 to the PS3-CoLD

Well it's sad to see one of the old greats go by the way side. It will go down in my book as a classic. But I also look at it this way: although PS1 games can still be played on next gen systems, maybe their prices will go down even more and I can buy up all the games I've been wanting for so long! And besides, now Sony can focus its energy on making the more up-to-date gaming things that people are looking for.

Sad to see the first system to create a benchmark standard for videogames. Its probably the system with the best games and longest running system out there. It had many famous titles that will be remembered such as Final fantasy 7, Tekken, Resident Evil, etc...Boy did it change the gaming world....