xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonebyrd

Looking To Buy New Desktop PC

My second computer, which belongs to my girlfriend, died (motherboard). I want to get another one but I'm trying not to spend a whole lot on it, but I am a little picky. I would think $500 approx. to spend, maybe a little more, hopefully not. Building it myself is not an option right now, I don't have enough knowledge on the matter to do so. But basically what I'm asking is does anyone know what would be best for this kinda thing:---I want it to have good speed, she download music alot on it---good sound ---graphics aren't all that important---good amount of memory---Windows XP---CD-RW driveWas wondering if anyone knew the best manufacture to go with for this. I don't know if I even gave good information, but any help would be appreciated.

$500 is more than enough to get a decent medium-end computer. especially if you don't need a new monitor, 500 is plenty. Unless you're a die-hard brandname fan, go for OEM. Have any dealership put together a computer for you with out-of-the-box pieces, and you'll save a ton of cash and get the same quality or better than branded. That's not true for laptops, but for desktops, yes.I'm thinking here a decent motherboard around $50, 512 MB memory for another $50, Minimum 2.4Ghz processor -- @ $100, onboard graphics for free, or AGP card 128MB @$35, stick in an 80GB HD for $50, CD-RW drive, hell, get one that plays dvds too @$35, original windows XP (home) @$50, onboard sound is fine for most people. figure in another $50 for peripherials (mouse, keyboard, power supply, case), what's that come to? under $450. --more likely $400.that's below your price limit. just go to the computer store nearest you --hopefully one that's been around for a little - and have them put something together within that price. The only downside is that if the store happens to go out of business you don't have much of a warranty left on it. that's the upside of going with brand names. but the individual pieces should still be under warranty in any case, so that's not so much of an issue.

What you also can try is to recover some hardware from the dead computer, if it's ofcourse a bit descent.Things like the hdd (if it's large enough), cd-rw (if it already has one), mouse/keyb/monitor/speakers/..., can be recovered, but I'm not shure every shop will do this for you.

If you have a sams club membership you can always look there for a computer. They usually have computers as low as $400 and their not too bad. For example if you look on their website you will see these two options for your price range.

AcerÂŽ IntelÂŽ CeleronÂŽ D 2.80GHz 256MB Desktop PC #74624
# Model: APS280-U-C3600256KB L2 cache
# 2.80GHz
# 533MHz FSB
# 80GB hard drive
For only $379.00

or

AcerŽ AMD Athlon⢠64 2.4GHz 512MB Desktop PC #74639
# Model: AST160-U-A3400512KB L2 cache
# 2.4GHz
# 200GB hard drive
# MS XP Home
For $510.00

There might be other retailers that also offer a good computer for that price. The best thing though of course is putting a computer together using OEM components as this will give you more power for your money. And I guess you can also try online purchases. I've gotten some parts of off http://www.pricewatch.com/ You can find just about anything there, just make sure you read up on the specific place selling the part. Make sure they've gotten good reviews as some places take too long to deliver, or some places might sell used parts as if they were new. But yeah its just another option I guess. Hope this helps.

I would suggest you buy AMD! I bought it not long ago and it just is a lot better than Intel! It is a lot faster it is better and I think you would like your computer more if you buy AMD...

Few year ago, I would have totaly agreed with you, but today tings are more difficult. Intel used to be faster when it came to video-encoding and memory-intensive tasks, but today there are more apps in wich it's faster, especialy when you consider price/performance.

Especialy Intel's mobile products (put in a desktop) are realy good and it seems like they are even getting better. In terms of heat output I would say that AMD still is the winner.

But to keep it short and simple, AMD has lost (already a while ago) it's huge advantage in price/performance (I'm thinking about the time when we would still be buying AMD AthlonXP's and P4 Northwoods).

AMD is definitely the way to go if you are looking for great performance at a great price. Acer is probably my favourite computer manufacturer. Just stick this extra 512mb of ram in and presto, you have a great pc while still being severely underbudget. Better performance than a 3.1ghz celeron d and 1gb of ram for under $450.
http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=82
http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=51

It's sad that I can't specify a certain configuration, because I don't know where you get your hardware. But generally, choose something in this direction:CPU : AMD Sempron64 3000+ or 3400+ (100-140$)Motherboard: A socket 745 motherboard with on-board graphics / Sata / LAN / Audio (70$)Graphics: on the motherboardRAM : 1 x 512MB DDR-RAM Value series (45$)Hard disk: 80Gb Sata (50$)Case and power supply: anything you like (60 - 100$)Later on, if you want to play games, you can add an AGP graphics card and more RAM.

My second computer, which belongs to my girlfriend, died (motherboard). I want to get another one but I'm trying not to spend a whole lot on it, but I am a little picky. I would think $500 approx. to spend, maybe a little more, hopefully not. Building it myself is not an option right now, I don't have enough knowledge on the matter to do so. But basically what I'm asking is does anyone know what would be best for this kinda thing:
---I want it to have good speed, she download music alot on it
---good sound
---graphics aren't all that important
---good amount of memory
---Windows XP
---CD-RW drive

Was wondering if anyone knew the best manufacture to go with for this. I don't know if I even gave good information, but any help would be appreciated.

Everyone else here is a bit more of a computer expert, but as I was shopping for a computer a few months ago and basicly looking for the cheapest possible my dad ran across a few very cheap computers from HP.

If you go to HPs website and go to home and home office, then to desktop section, click most left one (should say starting at $249 or something) then look for the one that says $249 or whatever then click on that. From here, you have a choice of AMD processors or Intel Celeron processors. I don't know much about Sempron processors compaired to celeron processors, so maybe a bit of research into that might be worth it. Ask around here, possibly?

okay, next click on whatever processor brand you have decided on (I am using Intel for example, because I have been told its better for file stuff where as AMD is better for gaming. Don't know on that either.) then click customize. From here, you have multiple choices on making it better... For example, upgrading to 512 MB RAM is around $50 or so. Getting a 250 GIG harddrive is around $100 or so. Adding on a few nice things like a better disc drive is certainly optional, and whatever your oppinion is on it.

But, you can get a computer for less then $500 that may be operational enough for what is needed. You'll just have to decide what you need...

Perhaps a friend would build you one? The only problem is the large price for windows home... Its ranging at what, $100-$150 a copy? That knocks hardware spec. possibilities down a bit...

Oh well, just a thought. Good luck.
You might also check out compaq desktops... I have one, but be a bit careful. They seem to have a bit lower prices in some things while a bit higher in others. In addition to that, mine has been doing some odd things.

Hello everyone i bought a new desktop PC motherboard:Abit Guru with Guru clock(displays the temperature of CPu, Sys, room, clock,sound card etc)Video: Asus x700 (from ATi)Audio:3 cards (7.1)Memory:2 x 512 DDR2HDD:300 GBDVD RW 16xTv TunnerKeyboardMouseMonitor:17' LCD AsusfloppyCase...Price: 1200 EuroDid i wrong ? what do u thing ?Can anyone tell me how can i connect a second PC to mine on LAN ? i have a stright cable. it is ok ? or i need crossover ? i tried to connect tham but i have an error : Limited or no conectivityPlease helpThankssee ya

Acer is good for me ,too. The price is very charming and the quality is good now! The support term is fast and credible .The appearance of design is more modern than few year ago . you can buy it in any place like bestbuy , circuitcity or internet ! Easy to find one and compare the price. Bless you to get a nice one!

If you aren't trying to build a gaming PC then you can build a decent system for about $500, get a medium range Athlon 64 CPU, 1GB or so of Kingston Value RAM, you can get a Maxtor or Seagate hard drive with a pretty good capacity for about $100.