xisto Community
marretas

World Of Warcraft Fever 6 millions players

Posted Image

Over 6 millions players all world

World of Warcraft dont stop getting new players. According to Blizzard Entertainment this number already passed 6 millions players who play in World of Warcraft Virtual World. According with the game producer this number of players doesn't count with promotional subscriptions, canceled accounts or expired.

Some weeks ago blizzard suspended temporally the creatons of new caracters to slow down the waiting time, witch was alredy passing 30 min. Blizzard already is working in a patch to improve the game.

This sucess its fundamental to balance the bank accounts of Vivendi Universal Games, mother of Blizzard, witch close the 2005 year with profits of 49 millions dollars, when in 2004 they had more 200 millions dollars of no-profits.

Personally i dont know this game, but if it has so many players, maybe i'll take a look. cheers

I agree it was to easy for me to, I play Anarchy Online at the moment. Its a bit older but its a lot more difficult to play, makes it a lot more fun and it takes more time to find out what's best for your character. Great game, free untill end of 2006!
http://www.anarchy-online.com/

Edited by Ventorms (see edit history)

Looks like a great game, but I can't afford the hours nor the price per month. Well I could afford it but it wouldn't be healthy for me. Other things always come up. Maybe back when I was in high school I could afford the time, but I hear it's addictive. I spend enough time as it is with quake 3. All in all I think this is a great game for an avid game player. For someone who just wants to pace themselves I would think guild wars would be a good replacement. Then again I've never played either. I hear I'm missing out, but I'm sure there will be bigger and better games come along in the future.

Played it for 14 months, 14 months of being a guild officer somehow which only added to the experience. Managing a game guild has never been that much fun and work, as an learning experience. I loved the PvE element, Co-Op with 40 and master encounters. However guild folded before a migration and I thought it had been enough time, as it became difficult to get another great guild to experience end-game. The co-ordination... This is the best game I've ever played and spent time in (over 2k hours). But now it would have become too troublesome with studies and social life had to let it go.

Update to main topic

Read the following on a news post on digg.com

World of Warcraft passes 50 percent market share

Source: http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/06/6964-2/

Snippet :

The big surprise, however, was Blizzard's World of Warcraft, released in 2004. It quickly surpassed all its rivals in subscriptions, passing the six million mark in February of this year. Now, according to the web site MMOGCHART.com, it has hit a new milestone by moving past the 50 percent mark for market share of massively multiplayer online games.
How did the game get to be so popular? It's hard to pin the answer down to any one thing, but Blizzard has certainly been the most successful at figuring out what people like about the genre and then broadening this appeal to include as many players as possible. One innovation that Blizzard brought to the game was the idea of "rest time," where more casual players can gain experience faster after being away from the game for a few days. Another thing that Blizzard does well is handling small details: the game has, for example, the best-looking "mini-icons" (used to indicate items in your inventory) of any game that I've seen, and the various armor sets are beautifully detailed. The more imaginative art styles used in the game, as compared to competitors like Everquest II have also been cited as a factor.

While I think the game is worth such attention, bit wondered how they spend their funds. Usually dungeon content is badly tested (end-game raiding guilds have been acting as Q&A for too long) and think that with such a huge playerbase and revenue income they can do 'more'. All in all though they are proving great patches.

And best of all, they got newer players in the market. Not just stealing market 'shares' from another game.

I tried it out, it wasnt for me. It was too anti social and you could solo the whole thing and it was just overall too easy
I canceled after my trial. I've played much better mmorpgs

Though I do have to agree with you for the game being too easy I dont agree with a person being able to solo the whole thing. Any character can go from 1-60 solo. But that means you will be missing out on half the game. You wont be able to handle many "instances" besides one much lower then your level. Also raids are what makes the game cool for the level 60's who have nothing else to do. Single handedly you couldnt never take down Onyxia or some other huge boss... But with a group its quite exciting.

I have taken the road to 60 a few times. Thought it is easy to level you really cant enjoy the full game playing solo :(
Edited by GoranCro (see edit history)

I like this game. I like it's style and i like that there are many things to do. There is a very nice community (i mean there are a lot people playing this game) so there won't be any trouble finding friends. It's easy of course, but if you know how to play rpg's. If you will jump from CS into WoW, then i don't think that it will be easy for you.Did you know that WoW "killed" a young player? A young boy was playing WoW and he didn't stop. Even his parents couldn't stop him. He didn't eat, didn't drink, i don't think he even went to toilet :) so his parents took WoW to court. It's possible that someone will shut down WoW if this will happen more times. A game killing player? This doesn't sound good.

I like this game. I like it's style and i like that there are many things to do. There is a very nice community (i mean there are a lot people playing this game) so there won't be any trouble finding friends. It's easy of course, but if you know how to play rpg's. If you will jump from CS into WoW, then i don't think that it will be easy for you.
Did you know that WoW "killed" a young player? A young boy was playing WoW and he didn't stop. Even his parents couldn't stop him. He didn't eat, didn't drink, i don't think he even went to toilet :) so his parents took WoW to court. It's possible that someone will shut down WoW if this will happen more times. A game killing player? This doesn't sound good.

Stupid people like this guy are supposed to die anyway... (Yes, I'm usually this evil.)
Now seriously, I don't think a game would ever be shut down due to such happenings. Game producers have no guilty of the player's mental illness, in any way. As idiot as him were his parents, who proved incapable of raising a child, setting bounds, look for medical help. Taking this to court is simply ridiculous, the ones to be prosecuted are them.
It's been a while that this kind of thing happens in the world... people who use a grass cutter to cut their hair, an so on. Humanity is lacking good sense. In a few years, products' boxes will come with a 12 page manual telling you what you can and what cannot do with it, which holes of your body is ok to put it in...

Now back to the topic.
WoW is a a visually nice game, and good to play (I used to play in a "local" server, let's say). But it's just not my kind of game. It is a bit too focused on spending time, and not skill, in my opinion. I'm more into storyline, etc. Still, is very good for co-op gaming and all that. Though, if you don't have much free time the game may show a little boring. The nice stuff usually happens after level 40... =)

I hear it's highly addictive, so I wouldn't dare try it.

And beyond me, I've seen a couple of classmates who are highly addicted to it and one of their friends who finally quit. The quitter claimed that in his sophomore year of high school he'd play for around eight hours daily after school, meaning that he starts his homework at around 11pm each night. To think that he managed to sometimes stay awake in class is quite a surprise. Now his friends are going down the same road as him--they're playing eight hour days while he's attempting to warn them. But then again, addicts will be addicts; they'll never listen to an ex-addict, and most certainly not a nongamer parent/teacher/whoever.

And I agree with the above--WoW shouldn't be sued. Sure, it's partially their fault for making such an addictive game, but the parents and their kid have to take some responsibility too. It's not as if the WoW creators threatened them to play WoW at gunpoint--he chose of his own accord. And his parents were probably the ones who paid the registration fee since at that age he couldn't have possessed a credit card. Which meant that his parents had plenty of control over him, but just didn't bother to exert it.

They need a lesson in parenting, and the kid needs a lesson in priorities. A game can't be at the top of your priority queue unless you make a living off of it. >_<

I've also watched a friend play it a couple of times...looked interesting, but fees of any sort always manage to turn me off.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

I've also watched a friend play it a couple of times...looked interesting, but fees of any sort always manage to turn me off.

Yes, converting fees Brazil's currency (Reais) makes it highly prohibitive here too. Almost the price of a new game per month...

Because people say it's too adictive i won't even try it. I'm not a big fan of rpg's anyway and all this crap you hear about people dieing from playing world of warcraft could be true. Plus who the hell would play a pay to play game? You buy the game, then your expected to pay every month after that? No thanks.It doesn't even look great and from what i've heard you can only reach upto level 60 then if you want to go higher you need to buy the expansion pack, so if you still want more fun out of it your expected to give even more money to blizzard.I'm not even going to pick up a copy of world of warcraft.-HellFire

I believe too many people get addicted to these pointless games. It's nice to interact with other people but these MMO's or MMORPG's are forcing the multiplayer concept on the user.Their older games atleast had a single player compaign which would have been great for World Of Warcraft, but there is no real story and the multi player'ness gets lame really fast......I still don't know how kids get sucked into this crap, my brother did at one stage until I gave him what for and showed him so real games (just simple old SNES rpg's that he hadn't played before and they easily ripped his attention away from WoW).

I believe too many people get addicted to these pointless games. It's nice to interact with other people but these MMO's or MMORPG's are forcing the multiplayer concept on the user.
Their older games atleast had a single player compaign which would have been great for World Of Warcraft, but there is no real story and the multi player'ness gets lame really fast......

I still don't know how kids get sucked into this crap, my brother did at one stage until I gave him what for and showed him so real games (just simple old SNES rpg's that he hadn't played before and they easily ripped his attention away from WoW).

Agreed, I'm still a HUGE fan of the 2D era, and beginning of 3D era. Now it's all about eye candy... =(