xisto Community
grnjd

Free & Pretty Good Web-Design Templates theyre pretty good

Those are all some definate good links to go and get free templates, , and by far I would say clantemplates has some of the best free available ones, also if you havent see this go to socomcentral.net they also offer some nice free templates.

Templates can be very useful and easy, however I still recommend creating your own, using some kind of base if not writing it from scratch. I would still be considered a "beginner" I think, but I am much more comfortable with using templates and programs like FrontPage now that I've chalked up some of my own HTML in Notepad. Just get the basics down, you know?

I'm just saying I don't recommend templates for complete beginners- learn your way around HTML first. Of course, lots of people probably already knew that.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I would only recommend templates if for some reason you're in a hurry to get a site up and need a design right now, then, okay, go ahead and use a template. And perhaps think about changing the template later. The best way is to create your own template. First of all you learn something, so you won't always be dependent on other people's work and limited to their style. Secondly, your website will be more unique and noticeable in the web world. People don't want to see a million of the same websites--the design factor is somehow stripped and gone.

I do things from scratch in Notepad. Part of the reason might be that I can't afford something like Dreamweaver, and after using it a couple of times at school, I did notice it created excess code. (Although the person who introduced me to using it said otherwise...but bah, he was just lying). Of course there are some things (such as positioning) that I wish I had a program to help me out on, but besides that, it's fine. Also, I think for the most part Dreamweaver implements tables, which makes it hard to make standards compliant HTML.

And for the recommending to beginners part, well, I partially agree. It kind of depends on the beginner's purpose. If all they expect to do is set up one website and not really get into designing websites, then it's fine to use a template. If they actually want to get into creating more websites, then they ought to learn everything from scratch.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

Well I think it is great for beginners, becaus eits almot a plug and play type of program, where if you dont know what scripts to use you can oull them from the directory list, and then add and make your changes.But at the same time I would say that Dreamweaver is and can be confusing for beginners as it has alot of content to *BLEEP* and alof of options to look at and use.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I would only recommend templates if for some reason you're in a hurry to get a site up and need a design right now, then, okay, go ahead and use a template. And perhaps think about changing the template later. The best way is to create your own template. First of all you learn something, so you won't always be dependent on other people's work and limited to their style. Secondly, your website will be more unique and noticeable in the web world. People don't want to see a million of the same websites--the design factor is somehow stripped and gone.

I do things from scratch in Notepad. Part of the reason might be that I can't afford something like Dreamweaver, and after using it a couple of times at school, I did notice it created excess code. (Although the person who introduced me to using it said otherwise...but bah, he was just lying). Of course there are some things (such as positioning) that I wish I had a program to help me out on, but besides that, it's fine. Also, I think for the most part Dreamweaver implements tables, which makes it hard to make standards compliant HTML.

And for the recommending to beginners part, well, I partially agree. It kind of depends on the beginner's purpose. If all they expect to do is set up one website and not really get into designing websites, then it's fine to use a template. If they actually want to get into creating more websites, then they ought to learn everything from scratch.

Correct, as i said in a previous reply, i think that is absolutely necessary to learn HTML not only for those who get into designing websites.

About Dreamweaver, one thing that i dont like of it is the excessive code it create, for example, sometime i develop a simple page with a few lines of code and the size of this was 1Kb, then i did the same page in Dreamweaver and my file size increments to 3Kb :unsure: but by the other side, one thing i like of it is the great functionality that offers to work with dynamic sites, specially when you work with Databases.

Best regards,