xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
round

Voip please explain

Can anyone explain what a VoIP gateway is? I know the VoIP is voice over ip but i'd like to know what and how the gateway achieves this. Is anyone using the system yet? I'm just working on site for a company whose business it is but they're not very organized and don't seem to be able to explain anything to me.
round

A gateway is something that lets you go from one communications medium to another. In the case of the VOIP gateway, it converts voice into a digital format that may then be sent over the internet and vice versa. Basically, you need it if you want to have a VOIP setup but want to use telephones to do your voice communication rather than a computer with a headset/mic. You'll see these in the form of those Linksys devices that Vonage sells to customers as well as in the form of large scale devices that the VOIP carriers have to use to send voice calls to landline phones.hope that helped